Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C power cord

So, I'm not sure if I should be posting here or in the electrical section;

I recently bought an air conditioner which is about 7 years old; its a sleeve a/c and it was a very decent price. Its 10,000 BTU's.

Anyways, when I bought it, it was plugged in and working; I installed it and it worked fine. I realized a bit late that I didn't check the power cord when I bought it. The cord itself is fine; the male plug though isn't. It was missing the insulating layer and is an old style plug. It is an unpolarized plug, so the left prong is not larger than the other. It began to overheat in the socket, which caused me to investigate further.

Now, the prongs were a bit loose and so I tried to rewire it yesterday; I did successfully, but it is a temporary fix. I wanted to replace the plug and need some advice on how to do so. Can I just splice a newer cord with a comparable plug and insulate with approved electrical tape? Or should I take this to a professional; I know the basics of rewiring.

just replace the plug, big box stores will have it
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

do a search on the web for the Carol cable company. I'm sure they'll have replacement "flat" cords for your a/c appliance and where you can purchase a new cord with molded male plug on it.

Comment

I did the searching for you go to this site of general cable/carol cable. click on the heading of air conditioner replacement cords. a pdf file will come up.
        Query Result

Comment

Thanks for all your help, both of you.

Problems solved.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =