Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Heater - Good Choice??

I have a small shop in my carport that I use for my hobbies.. It is 8 ft x 16 ft and is insulated.. In the winter it gets very cold where I live and I have been heating the shop as needed using a 1500 w electric resistance coil type heater with a fan.. It takes forever to heat the place up but does maintain a comfortable temp once there.. I am sure that the cost to operate this small unit is not cheap.. Someone suggested that I get a small oil filled register type heater and just leave it on at a moderate level in the winter.. they said that the cost to operate one of these units is much less than what I am using.. Anyone have any comments on this idea or offer a suggestion on a better way to work comfortably in my shop in the winter other than put more clothes on as my wife suggests..

The cost to operate anything electrical for heat is expensive. If you heat the air directly with a radiant heater when you need heat you are heating up a resistance coil. when it shuts down there is nothing to continually give off heat. When you heat a medium - mineral oil, sand, earth or whatever, there's the continuation of releasing heat after the heat source is shut off. Initial turn on gets expensive because watts is watts. You can't get away from this. Be it 1100 watts or 1500 watts - more power, more heat output.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =