Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler Won't Fire

I have a ~50 year old American Standard Arcoliner water boiler that was converted to gas about 30 years ago.

Last spring, rather than leaving the pilot on for the summer , I shut the system down for the first time. I did this because previous summers I would hear the boiler fire periodically, even in hot weather w/ the power turned off.

I now realize I probably should have left well enough alone. When I went to restart the boiler this fall, the pilot lit but the boiler would not fire. I cleaned the flame sensor gently w/ a wire brush but the boiler still would not light up (this had worked in the past restoring full function).
    I then cleaned the electrical connections on the Honeywell Powerpile gas valve (VS8187A). It looks like this:

Honeywell Millivolt Diaphragm Gas Valve VS8187A1369 NEW - eBay (item 150311140854 end time Dec-20-08 07:00:58 PST)

Still no luck. Finally, I tapped the lid above the electrical connections *gently* w/ a small hammer. That succeeds in getting the boiler to fire up, but it has yet to do so on its own.

Note the screws on the lid (not the connection screws). If I shut the gas & power off, would it be worth removing the lid to see if there is a connection inside that needs to be cleaned/repaired, or is that not advisable? Also, might removing the lower screws to examine the valve be worthwhile if cleaning/repairing connections does not solve the problem?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

what you mentioned - the [powerpile valve] tells me that the main valve operates off the powerpile which is a 750 millivolt dc generator. it produces a dc voltage in the presence of a flame. it must also have a thermocouple to keep the pilot flame on. your pilot is lit manually with a match. spotless and very clean terminals are a must for a powerpile furnace operation. try to clean those connection you were speaking of - see what happens and get back with the results.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =