Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low humidity problems

This is my first time on this forum and I thank everyone in advance for the replies.

I live in Calgary, Canada and have a house built in 2005 with hardwood floor on the main floor.

I have,
    1. GE gas furnace model # 58STA110-16 (Series 120)
    2. THM 501 Noma Thernostat
    3. Generalaire 1042 Series Flowthrough bypass humidifier

Problem: Low humidity in the house (below 20%). The thermstat always shows "Low Humidity"

What I have done?

1. Changed the humidifier filter

2. Discussed with Noma people, he suggested to short the two humidifier wires H1 and H2 while choosing the option "fn 2" on the thermostat. This option runs only the furnace fan. With this short-circuiting, the humidifier did not get the water supply (the solenoid does not open water supply to humidifier). I chose the "Heat" mode while running the fan (as the Noma manual states that the humidifier runs only under this mode). According to Noma, this is not a thermstat problem.

3. Created extra humidity close to the thermostat to check if its humidity sensor is working. The sensor was found ok.

4. The thermostat always shows "Low Humidity" and also the "Drop" simbol on its display.

5. The humidifier only runs when the heeting is on (checked from the water supply)

6. I do not find any voltage in either of the H1 or H2 wires.

Qeustions:
    1. How can I create more humidity in the house with the given system?
    2. With the summer approaching, the furnace heater will not run much; which will further cause lower humidity in the house.
    3. Is this a thermostat problem or a wiring issue?

Thanks again,

Sudhindra

you may need to run the humidifier any time the fan runs - if you choose fan only setting. the humidifier motor should run anytime the blower runs. the water solenoid should also open - it feeds water to the humidifier belt.

Comment

Many thanks for your reply. I chose the fan only setting from my thermostat (Using the option button to choose "fn = 2". However, the humidifier solenoid does not open. I even short-circuited the H1 and H2 wires in the thermostat, still the solenoid does not open to provide water supply. Mine is a bypass humidifier without the roller motor.
      Can you please suggest a solution? Thanks again for your time.

Comment

check the control circuit via the furnace's schematic. if the control circuit is 24 volt then there has to be relays between the low voltage and 120 volt motors and/or solenoid. the blower undoubtedly is 120 volts, the humidifier belt drive motor is 120 volts also. the solenoid may be 24 I don't know without looking at the diagram but if its 120 volt then parallel this solenoid across the fan motors controller.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =