Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heil Fan motor and fan replacement

Last Sunday I heard thru the duct work my Heil Heat Pump making some unusual noises,like a bearing going out and scraping metal to metal. Thought it might be the fan motor and fan making the racket. That night it quit working.

Monday morning called a repairman. Figured it would run about $250-300 to fix. He came out and said bad fan and fan motor. Just what I thought. - Replacement cost - $779. I choked on my spittle and decided to do it myself.

Got a new Heil replacement motor from a local motor repair shop for $380. High cost due to the fan motor being 1 Hp and having a 5/8 shaft. Unusual for a heat pump but my unit is a 6 Ton.

Called a friend in the HVAC business and he got me the fan for $62.89.

Next day installed the fan and motor and a new capacitor ($10). turned it on and everything worked fine. I thought. Later I found that the Heat strips were not heating up. Thermostat was calling for aux heat, circuit breakers were on, the heat strips were just not working. Could be in the thermostat. Don't have an answer yet.

I didn't do anything to the heat strips. The repairman looked at the panel with all the electrical relays, etc, but to my knowledge didn't touch anything. I looked and didn't see any obvious problems like breakers off or wire disconnects. No burn marks on the relays. All I did was replace the fan and motor.

Anyone have any suggestions or info on what might be wrong?
    Last edited by pinkertonpv; 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM.

check the control fuse or control transformer. Next check the heater sequencer relays. The relays operate off the thermostat.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =