Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beezer12,

I believe what you are looking at is a 240 v heating circuit. The thermostats are switching the black and red wires (both carry 120v) to the heaters. The new thermostat you have is for low voltage system with a central heater and/or AC unit. You can get programmable thermostats for the 240v system.

You can get single pole or double pole 240 v thermostats. The single pole only switches one of the hots on and off while the double pole turns both hots on and off. The doubles cost abit more.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks Jimmer! I'll go buy a thermostat for a 240V system.

Comment

Help!
        Old thermostat burned out (actually smoking)the first time I tried to switch from AC to heat. I tried to install a new one last night and now nothing works. Turned the breaker back on and none of the wires appear to be getting power. Could I have tripped something along the way? Is the transformer ruined? The old thermostat had Y,G,B,W and R jumped. Instructions told me to re-wire the new one exactly the same. Any advice would be trememdous!!

Comment

Hi - I have a question about a digital thermostat I installed a few days ago. Here's my problem - the furnace hasn't turned on since I've installed it. I followed the given directions closely, but it hasn't turned on. I took a look at the wiring again yesterday, it has 4 wires, and noticed the connection between RC and RH was incomplete, so I put it back in, hoping that would be it. I know I turned the power back on, the fan works. Unfortunately it wasn't. Do you have any recommendations of things I should check out? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =