Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• takes a while to spark and start the pilot

i have a trane blu 120 and it takes time for the pilot to start. when the furnace demands heat, i would hear a clicking sound. the interval of the clicks is somewhat like every 1.5 sec. it would take more than 20 clicks to create a spark and start the pilot flame. could this be a bad igniter or something else?

Originally posted by tenxor View Post
    i have a trane blu 120 and it takes time for the pilot to start. when the furnace demands heat, i would hear a clicking sound. the interval of the clicks is somewhat like every 1.5 sec. it would take more than 20 clicks to create a spark and start the pilot flame. could this be a bad igniter or something else?
    First take the igniter and flame rod out. Use some fine sand paper and clean them.
    also you might have to clean out the pilot burner. to clean the pilot burner
    you will have to take it out,and take it apart to get the orifice out of it.
    You might have to go to a furnace shop to have them put a small drill or
    broach through it. Do not run something to large through it.
    Make sure the porcelain on the igniter is not cracked and the wire going to the igniter does not have a bad spot so you are losing some of your spark.

Comment

thanks for replying. i saw that the tubing for the wire at the end of the ceramic igniter can move. the other end of the tubing where it's connected to the voltage source is tight. i don't see any cracks on the ceramic igniter but will take a closer look.

i already ordered a pilot assembly as it takes about 2 weeks for that part to be shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by tenxor View Post
        thanks for replying. i saw that the tubing for the wire at the end of the ceramic igniter can move. the other end of the tubing where it's connected to the voltage source is tight. i don't see any cracks on the ceramic igniter but will take a closer look.

i already ordered a pilot assembly as it takes about 2 weeks for that part to be shipped.
        The new pilot assembly will probably fix your problem. It also could be your
        spark box is getting weak. let me know how you make out. Later paul

Comment

3 wire pilot

I had a similar issue going on. I'd disconnect everything clean the pipes the spark and the metal strip.. still didnt work... What worked for me was if you take out the three wire pilot and you see where the wires leave the pilot ...there is a little metal box if you take a flat screw driver and bend open the flaps you'll see a little switch type device. I used a MAF sensor cleaner... I suppose you could use a high percentage alcohol solution just wipe it clean ...air dry make sure there is no residue and put everythign back together.... This 1 minute fix was the issue with my hvac. I practically took apart the entire machine for this little fix. But in the end im glad it worked. Hope it works for you too

Comment

Originally posted by helpneeded View Post
            I had a similar issue going on. I'd disconnect everything clean the pipes the spark and the metal strip.. still didnt work... What worked for me was if you take out the three wire pilot and you see where the wires leave the pilot ...there is a little metal box if you take a flat screw driver and bend open the flaps you'll see a little switch type device. I used a MAF sensor cleaner... I suppose you could use a high percentage alcohol solution just wipe it clean ...air dry make sure there is no residue and put everythign back together.... This 1 minute fix was the issue with my hvac. I practically took apart the entire machine for this little fix. But in the end im glad it worked. Hope it works for you too
            Thanks for your reply, all info can help someone. The other guy is working on a spark and flame rod pilot which is different from your. On your pilot it will help to turn the pilot gas pressure as hi as it will go. Later Paul

Comment

sorry for the late update. i changed the pilot assembly and i see the pilot flame after a couple of clicks. it's not consistent though. sometimes it takes three clicks, sometimes about six. i see the spark for every click. i'm considering applying a sealant at the connectors of the gas tube feed but not sure if i can use the high temperature silicon gasket sealant i used for my car.

Comment

Originally posted by helpneeded View Post
                not too bad idea

Comment

just an update. i hope this would help others.

the problem started to happen again. it takes a long time for the pilot to come up. i removed the wires and clean the terminal connectors. that did not help. the pilot assembly was just replaced last year. the next culprit could be the pilot relite (maybe others call this the furnace spark box). called trane parts and supplies but they don't have it on stock. it will take about 5 days to get it from their warehouse. i searched on the internet and found out that the pilot relite, a white-rodgers type 5059-41 pilot relite, is obsolete. the replacement is type 5059-134. i bought it from an hvac outlet site and got the part in 3 days - regular ups shipping.

i replaced the pilot relite and what a difference. when the hvac demands heat, i would hear a fast clicking sound - like about 3 clicks a second. the pilot light would fire up within 3 clicks. now i know when a pilot relite needs to be replaced.

Comment

Hi,
                    I am having the same exact problem with my Trane BLU068.
                    You call for heat with the thermostat and the heater will click every few seconds and there is light hissing as if gas is passing through the pilot, but it does not lite. It sometimes takes up to 45 mins., sometimes it doesn't lite at all, sometimes it lites right away.
                    I was able to tape the safety switch on the access door down and lite the pilot by hand.
                    So I guess I need a new pilot relite #5059-134.
                    When I search for the part online it tells me that all i get with that number is the relite module, due to the age of my furnace i would like to replace the actual sparker that is next to the pilot. The sparker thing is attached to a thick red wire that goes into the relite module. Does anyone know what the official name and part number is for the sparker thing?
                    Thanks
                    chris

Comment

Originally posted by motobro View Post
                      Hi,
                      I am having the same exact problem with my Trane BLU068.
                      You call for heat with the thermostat and the heater will click every few seconds and there is light hissing as if gas is passing through the pilot, but it does not lite. It sometimes takes up to 45 mins., sometimes it doesn't lite at all, sometimes it lites right away.
                      I was able to tape the safety switch on the access door down and lite the pilot by hand.
                      So I guess I need a new pilot relite #5059-134.
                      When I search for the part online it tells me that all i get with that number is the relite module, due to the age of my furnace i would like to replace the actual sparker that is next to the pilot. The sparker thing is attached to a thick red wire that goes into the relite module. Does anyone know what the official name and part number is for the sparker thing?
                      Thanks
                      chris
                      I think the sparker comes with a new pilot assembly. If you take the sparker and pilot out and clean all the metal and get rid of all the rust you might find that the spark will be a lot better and will lite the pilot. Also make sure the orifice inside the pilot is clean so you are getting a good gas flow from the pilot. Paul

Comment

I did a little more research after my post.
                        The sparker is called an ignition electrode, white rodgers #760-56.
                        It does not come with the pilot relite.
                        I found it for $13 and the pilot relite for $66.
                        Be carefull when you look for that stuff on net. the prices vary wildly. The ignitor varied from $13 to $100.
                        I have ordered them and they should show up in a few days,
                        i will install then report back.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =