Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M40, 41, 441, 2400 burner cloth/mat?

Hello folks!

...i am very curious if anyone might have a template blueprint (drawing w/ general dimensions!) for the burner cloth/mat for the 40k units?...i want to attempt a fabrication one from a 'generic' mat, but mine got sucked up in the dreaded shop-vac when it disintegrated! so now i have nothing 2 go off of for my 'new' one to be cut!...if someone had a new one (to look at), even the simple total circumference measurement of the piece would help, as i can almost 'guess' where to cut the sides from the stuff i have to look at in the burner chamber...

...something i don't quite understand...why is the mat on the fuel-tube side shorter (less wide) than the one on the opposite, 'open' side?...it looks to me like it would create an 'uneven' or unbalanced fuel distribution in the chamber when considering the centering of the circular shaped mat & its positioning in the chamber with the 'uneven' sides?...the only reasoning i could think of, is that more fuel would 'pool' on the fuel-tube side if the widths were the same (equal width), and the 'uneven-ness' is purposely there to compensate a little more of the fuel to the farther side of the mat by the simple fact that the 'shorter' side cannot hold as much fuel as the larger one?...i often wonder these trivial things, but really considered jus' cutting an 'even' circle, since i don't know the xact true dimensions for the mat...does it really matter that much?!?

thanx in advance, guys!
    Last edited by kalicocat; 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM.

the burner mat is cut the way it is because the "narrow side" is below the flamerod. fuel is fed to the center of the mat, in the channel, because the igniter inside the ceramic tube is there. I asked Hawkins how long the igniter is on. He said about six minutes or until the flame is self sustaining. the burner mat is shaped like a large D. from one "sharp" corner to the rounded D part is a double slit to clear the channel in the center of the pot. Size??? about the size of a 25 ft craftsman 1 inch tape measure. Maybe a tad larger all around.

Comment

burner mat drawing

Here's a drawing of the burner mat & the top gasket for the 441. I think they're to scale.

Comment

...why not centered & 'round' i wonder

@ arnadeau!

...wow, what a truly strange shape for a ROUND burn chamber!
        when u say the shape is 'to scale', u mean i can literally print that sheet & cut out a copycat w/ zero modification to the size or shape! (even though i do not have any 'hard' dimensions?)...

@ HayZee

i understand that the things are shaped to accommodate certain parts/items in engineering, but it still (honestly) confirms my initial thoughts on asymmetrical fuel distribution w/ no 'logical reasoning!...HayZee, im in there now & looking...there is NOTHING (physically, anyway!) obstructing the mat from being perfectly centered, and/or round for that matter...curiosity killed the cat?...anywho, i didn't design it, so don't fix what ain't broke, right?...who knows, may do some dabbling in that aspect just to see what i sees...

...if anyone happens to have @ least the 'overall' dimension measurements on one of these 40k burner mats, would be much appreciated!

thanx again both!

Comment

If you print the drawing at 100% it should be the correct size. For reference, the rectangle is 25 x 80 mm. Cut out the top gasket and check it against the top of your burn chamber for a check. I must have had a new mat at one time to come up with the drawing. If anyone else has a measureable mat, please verify the drawing.

Comment

adnadeau!

thanx a BUNCH for the info, its really nice to have such resources...oh, get by with a lil' help from my friends!

...jus' realized how close u actually live in relationship to me!...come thru that way more often than not, freakin' Wow!...so who do u choose 2 get ur replacement parts from when u need something?...someone in Portland prolly?...have u checked ur monitors over 4 the upcoming chill, yet! ...so r u in need of a new burn mat? i will see how this goes, got some high rated woven mat on order under HayZees guidance...going 2 fab some 'custom' mats for my 422 & 2400 units!...i will hook u up w/ one if u would like & i can even pizza hand deliver it w/ a smile as i roll thru on my way to windham one day during the week for your help!!!

p.s.! do u happen to have a pdf & dimension for the 20, 22, 422, 2200 burner mat as well?!?...gives an inch...asks 4 a mile!...some people's children, i swear!
            Last edited by kalicocat; 10-16-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know where to get material for the Burner Cloth. Worked on these things for 22 years and tired of getting ripped of on parts.

Comment

Search through these threads. I remember posting burner mat material from McMaster-
                Carr Industrial supply along with stock numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryand View Post
                  Does anyone know where to get material for the Burner Cloth. Worked on these things for 22 years and tired of getting ripped of on parts.
                  The name of the thread you're looking for is titled "Burner Mat Material" and was compliments of HayZee518 who has been able to answer all my questions so far. I would have posted the link, but I haven't got enough posts yet to post links. Hope this helps out.
                  Last edited by FordMan59; 02-13-2012, 03:09 AM.

Comment

OK, another question.....Does the fuel nozzle deliver fuel into the channel, or below it? The mat in this unit was installed with gobs of what looks like stove cement at the corners, judging by what's left, and the channel, contrary to what I've read here, was not rivered, but stuck to the bottom of the pot with the above cement....(tangs on the ends of the channel bent under and glued down) The nozzle tip is just above the pot bottom...~3/16 in. and seems fixed in that location....under the edge of the channel.....I should add that this was an out of the box unit from Nelson/Small about 17 years ago and has been a sweetheart.... Thanks again!

Comment

The channel you are referring to is where the ignitor goes in. The oil line is in a fixed position unless the brazing has broken loose. The fuel line almost touches the metal side of the channel the ignitor is in. The Burner mat goes under the fuel nozzel and around all four sides of the ignitor. There is also a piece of mat under the ignitor. The fuel nozzel pumps the fuel on the burner mat.

Comment

the U shaped channel is/was rivetted to the bottom of the pot. the channel itself has three punched holes in it. Lining the bottom of the channel is a screen that is folded over at the ends. the burner mat has three slots that clears one side and the ends of the channel the rest of the burner mat is glued to the pot bottom. the channel fits around the porcelain igniter. If you were to pull the igniter out then fitting the burner mat would be easier to do. the fuel inlet has a brass sleeve that extends the fuel line and directs the fuel to the burner mat center.

Comment

burner cloth mat

Hello,

Would you please share info on where to get the material to make my own burner cloth mat instead of buying a pre-cut one from Toyotomi?

I looked everywhere on the internet.

Moses

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =