• Show
Clear All

• Monitor 41 - Error Code 12 Again

Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor_41_E12_Code2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	87648

Well I'm back... Original problem with E-12 code is still here. Starting getting this error last February, accompanied by a gradually increasing sooty smell from the unit over time. Shut down the unit right after that for a few months since heat wasn't needed anymore. Since it's starting to get cold again I had the unit rebuilt over the last two weeks by a local handyman that works on these oil stoves all the time - complete burn chamber replacement: new burner pot, flame ring, burner mat, flame tube, flame rod, the works. Fired the unit up on high to test, and within 45 minutes it shut itself down with the same E-12 code that started the whole mess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor_M41_CBv1_Codes-small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	87649

The E-12 error code description is:
    Reason of Indication:
    When unit is shut off either manually or automatically, flame rod does not detect flame out within 300 seconds.

Trouble Point:
    Driving circuit of RL6 or excess fuel in burner pot.

Anybody have a clue what might be causing the excess fuel in the burn chamber, since that seems to be the main culprit?

Thanks!

M41

the heater itself is pretty old. I would have to suspect the driver circuit for the taisan solenoid pump - the timing is on too long. I don't know where you'd even start to search for a pump controller. maybe time to switch to a toyo laser heater as monitor phased out kero heaters last year

Comment

Thanks for the feedback HayZee. Yeah I ws suspecting something having to do with an out-of-control solenoid feeding the fuel, probably will be impossible to find a replacement. I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried tweaking the blue and white adjusters to adjust the fuel flow on the Taisan solenoid.

I am amazed at how much fuel is being pumped into the burn chamber, it looks to be about two inches deep judging by the level of discoloration of the igniter cover gasket where the fuel was leaking out. At first I thought it was just that after the rebuild the cover gaskets didn't get tightened down enough (was able to get a partial turn on each of the three bolts after that) but it quickly became apparent that there was just too much fuel in the chamber.

Question on that - for the ignitor cover gasket, are the 2 ignitor leads supposed to be UNDER the gasket making contact with with the burn chamber (like they are now and suspect is wrong) or OVER the gasket on the ignitor cover side?

Thanks,
      Maddog
      Last edited by Maddog; 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

igniter

the igniter is a porcelain tube with two wires and a potting compound [also a ceramic] coming out in the center. the bracket screws into the pot, then a gasket and then the cover. the wires go over the gasket, not underneath it.

Comment

M41 - too much fuel

That's what I figured on the gasket position, must have been a case of too early in the morning and not enough coffee for the rebuild guy. That was an unrelated side issue however, I am going to put on the search for a replacement fuel solenoid. Thanks again HayZee.

Comment

fuel pump

I just did a search through eBay and found ADIRONDACK HARDWARE. I know of two stores, one is in Keeseville NY and another in Malone NY. the eBay page shows the fuel inlet pipe, the cappilary tube and two versions of the pump and controller.

Comment

Monitor M41 Solenoid controller

Good searching - thanks. The Ebay\ADK solenoid pump assembly looks to have the exact same Taisan TS-A-62 controller but the pump unit is for a different model heater. I'd assume that the blue\white rheostats on the controller are configured for the other model, but I could count the turns from zero I guess on my stove to set the new controller and cross my fingers. Still deciding if this additional $88 gamble is going to take care of things before I pull the trigger, after the other $500 rebuild gamble that so far has not hit the jackpot.

Comment

Monitor Parts Supplier

Here's the number to another Monitor parts supplier 1-800-607-0452. This is the number for Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC, they have the best prices of anywhere I've found so far.

Comment

dangerous fuel sitution

Do Not use a fuel pump that is not for your model stove. You have a very serious fuel problem with your M41 heater. You risk flooding the unit as well as a fire. Use only the correct part number.

You should check the main circuit board for both the proper voltage to the pump and the fact that the pump shuts off when it is supposed to. You will need a flame sensor by pass to make the unit run with out a flame in the pot. Remove the fuel line and plan to catch the fuel as the pump comes on. I would say at this time you have a stuck relay on the fuel pump circuit. This will cause the pump to run on high all the time and not shut off when it should. If this is the case be very careful. If the pot was ever flooded you may have a soaked insulating pad. This is dangerous because you can have a fire on the air side of the pot.

Be very careful here and never leave that stove running when you are not there.

Tom

Comment

Dangerous fuel situation

Thanks Hawkins, that is all good to know and I\we will be extra careful!

I am going to pull off the ignitor cover to switch around the gasket\wires which were a side issue, but when the ignitor cover is removed do you know if enough of the interior can be seen to verify if the insulating pad is soaked with Fuel?

EDIT: Just pulled the ignitor cover and tube, and can see that there is a lot of fuel residue on the bottom of the pan below the burn pot inside the burn chamber. A lot of raw fuel poured out of the ceramic ignitor tube when it came out. I pulled off the black air tube elbow directly below the burn chamber assembly, and there was a bunch (2 teaspoon at least) settled in there that poured out. This all confirms there is fuel now on the air supply side that will need to be cleaned up. I think I have another side issue, the rebuild guy left off the solid gasket (P/N #6352) and thin metal pan that is supposed to hang just below the burn pot, there is nothing between the burn pot and the floor of the burn chamber where the air supply comes in.
                    Last edited by Maddog; 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

bad overhaul

You can not trust that overhaul. If the burner pad and cover were left off and you have this fuel problem, you need to scrap that unit. If little things like the pad were left off I would assume the heat exchanger was not removed and cleaned. It appears the mechanic did not run the stove to test it. All in all you have a 25 year old heater that you can’t get parts for, a bad overhaul and a bad main circuit board. Cut your losses and get a newer unit. If you’re stuck on Monitor get a M2400. If you want go to Toyostove and get a Laser 73.

Tom

Comment

Bad Overhaul

Hawkins, I am beginning to get the same feeling about scrapping the unit. You mentioned a bad main board, so a possible stuck relay mentioned earlier would be on the main board and not on the solenoid controller itself, or too iffy to chance? I did find a replacement Taisan solenoid controller and pump assembly (P/N #6306) from hhgonline who I called directly after seeing them on EBay. If I was 75% confident a new solenoid and remaining missing parts would fix it I would still go for it I think. If not then I am going to go completely away from kero\propane\NG heaters and look for another way to heat the house.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =