Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Lifter Pump OL-A-2

My original lifter pump died and I replaced it with a used model OL-A-2. My understanding was that they're supposed to be pretty quiet, but this one is making a fair amount of noise. It sounds like it's losing its prime after every pumping cycle. Are there seals that need to be replaced periodically or any other type of maintenance required on this pump? Other than the noise issue, it seems to be working fine. The connection to the fuel inlet line is very tight, so I don't think there's an air leak at that point.
    Last edited by Bnystrom; 10-13-2012, 05:11 AM. Reason: Added more information

OL-A-2 lifter

I’m sorry to say, an OL-A-2 is not a quiet pump. They have a solenoid pump that has never been called quiet. If the pump is very loud then some of the O Rings are worn. The plunger is slamming against the stops on either end of its stroke. The pump is not serviceable and needs to be replaced. I would not spend the money to fix that pump. The new OPT 91 lifter is a much better pump. It has a rotary pump that makes it very quiet.

That being said, do you have a check valve is your fuel line? It should be located low in the system close to the fuel tank. With the check valve in place the lifter does not have to work as hard to get suction.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
      I’m sorry to say, an OL-A-2 is not a quiet pump. They have a solenoid pump that has never been called quiet. If the pump is very loud then some of the O Rings are worn. The plunger is slamming against the stops on either end of its stroke. The pump is not serviceable and needs to be replaced. I would not spend the money to fix that pump. The new OPT 91 lifter is a much better pump. It has a rotary pump that makes it very quiet.

That being said, do you have a check valve is your fuel line? It should be located low in the system close to the fuel tank. With the check valve in place the lifter does not have to work as hard to get suction.

Tom
      I guess I'll have to live with the noise for now. I never thought about a check valve, but I'll install one. As always, you're a lifesaver. Thanks!

Brian

Comment

Still too noisy

I installed a check valve as you suggested and that definitely made a difference, but the pump is still too noisy. I'm probably going to replace it and I've seen a few for sale locally, both the Monitor 1103 and the similar Toyo. I haven't been able to find the 1103 installation/operation manual online anywhere. One question I have about it is that I've seen some of them with a third fitting near the top left of the pump. Is that a vent? If so, what does it connect to? The other pumps I've seen all have just two lines, In and Out.

Comment

Monitor lifter

Remember, Monitor is no longer in the business of oil fired vented heaters and there parts. At some time in the near future Monitor will not make parts for any of their oil products. My suggestion is, don't buy the Monitor lifter, get the Toyotomi OPT 91 lifter.

Tom

Comment

Really, no more Monitors?

Remember, Monitor is no longer in the business of oil fired vented heaters and there parts.
            I wasn't aware of that. It's probably just as well, since their products weren't great anyway.

At some time in the near future Monitor will not make parts for any of their oil products.
            I'll probably make the switch to natural gas before then.

My suggestion is, don't buy the Monitor lifter, get the Toyotomi OPT 91 lifter.
            That sounds like a plan. I have a line on one in like-new condition.

Thanks again, Tom.

Comment

Update

I installed an OPT-91 lifter pump and it's a lot quieter. I'm definitely glad that I followed your suggestion.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Do the motor bearings require lubrication?
              2. When the pump runs, should the sound be smooth and consistent or is a slight rattle/buzz or pulsing sound normal?

Out of curiosity, I disassembled the OL-A-2 pump. It's a surprisingly simple device, with really only one moving part. There aren't any O-rings to replace, as the pump consists of just a piston between two springs. The fit between the piston and the pump cylinder is close enough that no seals are required.

One thing I noticed was that the filter in the priming cup had collapsed, indicating that it was probably clogged. I suspect that probably created a heavy load on the pump and contributed to the noise it was making. Since I have a filter on the fuel line at the tank, I figure I don't need the filter in the pump anyway. I'll keep the pump as a spare, since there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.
              Last edited by Bnystrom; 12-24-2012, 10:29 PM.

Comment

OPT 91 lifter

The OPT91 fuel lifter motor does not need to be lubricated. That motor and bearings will last more than 15 years as mine has and it is still running fine. The only noise is a slight gurgling sound. You really want the filters installed unless they are cracked or broken. The OPT91 has a filter that is very easy to clean. I would say once a year along with the filter on the tank. At the same time get the one on the stove as well.

BTY, none of the parts on the OLA2 will fit on the OPT 91, sorry.

Merry Christmas

Tom

Comment

The OPT91 fuel lifter motor does not need to be lubricated. That motor and bearings will last more than 15 years as mine has and it is still running fine. The only noise is a slight gurgling sound.
                  Good to know, but as it turns out, mine is an OPT81 and I have no idea how old it is. I've looked at the differences between them in their respective manuals, but that doesn't tell you much. Other than needing to use the Oil Supply Button when re-starting it, what are the functional differences?

You really want the filters installed unless they are cracked or broken.
                  Well, the one on the OL-A-2 is toast and I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement. I have seen some lawn mower fuel filters that are similar in size, so perhaps that's one possibility.

[QUOTE]The OPT91 has a filter that is very easy to clean. I would say once a year along with the filter on the tank. At the same time get the one on the stove as well.
                  I checked the strainer in OPT81 and it was pristine, not a speck on it. I check the one on the stove every year and it's always the same, too.

BTY, none of the parts on the OLA2 will fit on the OPT 91, sorry.
                  I realize that; what I meant was that I would keep the entire pump as a spare, since it still works and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it, aside from the filter. It'll work in an emergency.

Happy New Year!
                  Last edited by Bnystrom; 12-30-2012, 08:58 AM.

Comment

OPT 81/91 parts

Some parts are interchangeable between the 81 and 91. Motor and pump are two that do work on either. Some of the circuitry is different, but the parts are available from Toyotomi for both lifters. As far as the OLA2 is concerned, if you have the room I would save the whole lifter. Any of the parts that are good are great to have on hand. The On/Off switch, circuit board and pump are all things I have changed in the past. Serviceable old stuff is always great to have around.

Happy New Year,

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =