Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor 441

Okay I have narrowed my problem down to the the little float in. side the pump we have checked and cleaned everything it is getting fuel into the
    pump the problem is with the float the screws on the float were to tight and not allowing any fuel to get through so I loosened them a little and the fuel starting coming in then
    But when it would fill up enough to make the float thing rise and as I understand that is suppose to make it quit letting fuel in once it rises it still keeps letting fuel in until it overflows any ideas on how to fix this

441 float

go back to your sump tank. shut off the fuel valve before the heater. you said you loosened up two screws. these screws hold the nylon float with the needle valve inside the tank. remove the two screws completely and check to see if there is a tiny O ring between the float and the cast sump body. if there is none then you need to find one small enough to put there. once you do tighten the screws down. my thoughts are that when you loosened the screws there was no seal between the sump tank and the float which forms the so called carberator.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      go back to your sump tank. shut off the fuel valve before the heater. you said you loosened up two screws. these screws hold the nylon float with the needle valve inside the tank. remove the two screws completely and check to see if there is a tiny O ring between the float and the cast sump body. if there is none then you need to find one small enough to put there. once you do tighten the screws down. my thoughts are that when you loosened the screws there was no seal between the sump tank and the float which forms the so called carberator.
      It does have the o ring in it if I tighten the screws all the way down then no fuel comes through to fill the tank/pump up it just Burns what is in the pump and then it will shut down and start ticking and the burner lights start blinking is there something preventing the float from closing off when the pump gets to the fuel line

Comment

fuel sump

You need to remove the float and inspect the sides of the sump for blistering due to corrosion. With the float off, slide the valve stem up and down in the stand pipe. It should move freely in the stand pipe. Inspect the rubber tip of the valve. It should be smooth with no cuts. If you have any problems with either of the above replace the sump. You have already figured out what is happening with the float and valve. You can also easily see what will happen if the valve does not shut off the fuel. The Monitor sump is a simple and tested unit. However, if it does not work correctly it is a mess. If you buy one from a dealer it will cost around $125.

Tom

Comment

sump float

just for the sake of argument, remove the two screws that hold the pump to the plate - take out the plate. now position the pump in the middle of the float, just let it hang there off the copper cappillary - don't let it touch the float in any way. now open your fuel valve and watch where the fuel goes to in the tank. if it pushes the float up all the way to where the magnet grabs the float but the fuel does not shut off, you have a needle valve problem. the tip of the needle valve has a triangular shaped piece of rubber, like a cone, that's supposed to press against the brass seat inside the housing.
          if the seal doesn't seal, then like hawkins said, time to get a new sump.

Comment

Originally posted by rwheatley View Post
            Okay I have narrowed my problem down to the the little float in. side the pump we have checked and cleaned everything it is getting fuel into the
            pump the problem is with the float the screws on the float were to tight and not allowing any fuel to get through so I loosened them a little and the fuel starting coming in then
            But when it would fill up enough to make the float thing rise and as I understand that is suppose to make it quit letting fuel in once it rises it still keeps letting fuel in until it overflows any ideas on how to fix this
            Just one quick question. Does your heater have the small sump or the large one. The Large on is about 6" by maybe 4" and the other is maybe 4"x3". They did come with two different styles. The early 441's had the same sump as the 41's.

Comment

Monitor

The float assembly HAS to sit firmly with the two screws tightened or you'll always leak fuel from between that plastic U and the sump body. take out the needle valve and look carefully with a magnifying glass at the tip. no scored marks and pliable to the touch.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =