Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Issues

Hi folks, after my rebuild this summer the heater is working like a champ. Issue now seems to be that the thermostat likes to guess at the temperature more than anything. We set the heater on 58 and have it on the economy mode. Depending on where I hang the wire, it either starts around 59 and stops and 61 or it starts at 64 and stops at 66 (based on a digital thermometer that is about 3 feet from the heater). This is really annoying because I thought the whole point of economy was to reduce the number of burn cycles and I can't find a place that makes the thermostat wire happy. I know the manual says to "reposition the wire" and check for proper clearance around the heater. The heater has 7" on the left, 16-24" on the right, and 10 feet to the front which is all well within specs and when the wire is only about 3 feet long, there are only so many places it can move to. I know a fan can be used to and I have not tried this but that is because it would be impractical to have a fan sitting in the middle of the floor all winter long. Any suggestions? Could there be something wrong with the wire or the internal electronics? Thanks for all the help on here!

room sensor

The room sensor is very relative. It may not be anywhere near as accurate as a digital thermostat. Set the room sensor about eye height to start with. Set the temp at something that is going to give you a room temp that you can live with. When you have it set low there may be drafts in the room even after the stove shuts off. You mentioned 59 degrees as a start. With the economy plus on, the stove will have to sense 67 before it shuts off (8 degrees over set). I also believe you are expecting too much from your M2400. If the heater is in a back room or at the end of a hall, it may not heat rooms that are a fair distance from the unit. As I stated, the room sensor is relative. Try setting it at some point that heats up your spaces to a comfortable temp. Can you draw us a diagram of your floor plan and show us where the heater is located?

Tom

Comment

That is somewhat what I was afraid of Tom. I have actually set the thermostat wire on top of the digital thermometer and it will go from 66-60 while the digital thermometer changes from 64.5 to 64. Overall we are able to keep the house at a comfortable temperature, it just gets a bit annoying when at night it is turning on when the house is 64 and then turns off again when it is at 66 when we don't want it to come on so soon but during the day the house is 59 before it turns on. I am guessing this is from drafts but overall the house seems well insulated as it doesn't lose heat fast. I have attached a rough schematic of the house and the overall outside dimensions are roughly 40x25. As you might suspect, the office area gets a little chillier than normal but not by much and I have a small space heater to take the edge off in the morning. The orientation of the heater to the opening of the bedrooms also seems to keep them at a nice stable temperature. I was just hoping there might be a way to get the thermostat to read more accurately such as by making the wire longer to get it away from the source of the heat and the outside walls to stabilize the temperature but I wasn't sure if this would cause incorrect readings by changing the wire length? When I put the wire up higher it turns off too soon (usually) but then turns on at about the right temperature. When I put it about waste high, almost behind the table, it runs until it is supposed to but then it kicks on earlier than I want it to as I suspect it may be getting poor circulation behind the table. I fear this may be a losing battle on my part and I should just be glad the heater runs splendidly now I was just hoping to take advantage of the economy mode more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	House Schematic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	87120

Comment

room layout

You have the perfect layout for a vented heater. Your common space is all together. Your heater should keep them nice. As you have found the bed rooms and office will be a little cooler. You might think about a fan on the ceiling to help move some of that warm air downward. For your office you could think of a room to room fan in the wall with a line voltage thermostat. Put it up high so it will blow the warmer air into your room. These room to room fans don’t work too well for bed rooms, as they make some noise. When using the Economy Plus feature you should see a 8 degree rise on the stove indicator temp and then the unit should cycle. I use the Eco feature on my M441 all the time. I have the room sensor on the back right corner of the stove and that works fine. You have to be able to put up with the large swing in room temp in order to use the feature. The Economy Plus feature has its draw backs, however it will help your stove go much longer between overhauls. Don’t cut the wire for the room sensor. There is no need to do this. If you are worried about the temp just turn the stove up some. You will find a spot that will be fine for the whole house eventually.

Tom

Comment

Sounds good, thanks a lot Tom! There is actually already wiring for a light/fan above the table...unfortunately it is connected straight to the breaker box with no room switch and I don't know how sturdy of construction is behind it as I did not put it in. I would love to put a fan there but I don't want to spend the money as I am only renting the house and I will likely not be here next winter as hopefully I'll be moving from here in Maine back to Wisconsin but you never know where the world will lead you...or at least that has been my life motto it seems

Brandon

Comment

Working...
          X
          =