Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor41 heater

it appears that a few of you are fairly knowledgable when it comes to the 41 model. i recently had mine serviced for a recurring problem but the techs couldn't figure it out. the unit goes thru purge, primary ramp, full fire until the set temp is obtained then cools down properly, but after the cycle is complete it begins flashing full fire bars and 8888 until i shut it down and restart. im lost and would love any advice. thanx

Monitor 41

Guy,

The stove does not work the way you explained. If the stove reaches a temperature that is 4 degrees over the “Set” temp it will go through a post purge (cool down) and then be ready to go again. The flashing of the status lights tell me that the stove never reached the 4 degrees over the set temp and stopped its operations due to some kind of a fault. We need to know more information like, can you see the flame, what color is the flame, and does the flame die down before the status light (burn level) goes out; do you hear a thumping when the flame goes out? A Monitor has a number of systems that have to work correctly in order for the stove to operate. One is the solenoid damper. Do you hear a clunking noise shortly after the flame is established? Does the flame die down after you hear the clunk? Try to start your stove and watch the flame and the burn level light at the same time. After the flame is established does it die down before the status light goes out, or is the flame strong when the light goes out? Get back to us after you try the stove again.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

monitor 41

ran the unit up this morning. i never noticed but it does come above set point. instantly at reaching the set point it drops to three quarters, after a minute it drops to half, at two degrees above set it shuts down fuel and begins flashing all status bars. the fan continues to run until cool down is complete but will not restart without being shut down and restarted. i contacted the fuel supplier and he thinks they might have sold me #2 instead of #1 oil he's checking his records and will get back to me today. hope that's the problem. i'll find out soon.

Comment

monitor 41

p.s. the flame was blue at high fire and on the orange side of blue when it started to lower. found out it was #2 they are coming out monday to r&r with #1
        Last edited by guyle; 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

monitor

if he gave you #2 you got major problems! you need K-1 dyed or un-dyed. your whole tank needs to be emptied and flushed out with clean kero. the tank filter must be changed. the sump of the unit needs to be cleaned out, so the unit starts fresh. blow out the capillary tube with air.

Comment

#2 fuel oil

Guy,

How long did the stove run with # 2? If it was a week or so you will need to clean the combustion chamber and heat exchanger. That means taking the stove apart again. I doubt the burner ring is messed up, but the burner will need to be brushed out and the exchanger blown clean. As has been stated, the fuel system needs to be purged of all #2. Big mess.

Tom

Comment

monitor 41

wonderful. aint there some crap like red hot you can run with the fuel for a temporary hot burn to blow out carbon? I'm like the ultimate lazy ass so i think i'll empty the tank, change primary filter, run whats in the carb thru, then crank her up to 90 or so and see how it goes
              Last edited by guyle; 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

lazy or not

you want heat, not excuses. #2 makes all kinds of soot - that is why you need to overhaul your combustion pot and heat exchanger. that means the insides of the fins, the offset fitting to the wall and the exhaust tube. around the edge of the burner ring are two sets of holes about 1/16" diameter. wire brush these clean. they make a stainless steel tooth brush for this. clean off the flamerod itself and inside the porcelain tube and don't crack it. clean the outside porcelain of the flamerod.

Comment

fuel oil

when you ordered a fuel delivery, what did you tell the dispatcher? regular heating fuel or K-1 dyed or undyed? If you specifically asked for K-1 and were delivered the #2 then you may have the grounds of a lawsuit against the oil company to pay for servicing of the heater.

Comment

monitor 41

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                    when you ordered a fuel delivery, what did you tell the dispatcher? regular heating fuel or K-1 dyed or undyed? If you specifically asked for K-1 and were delivered the #2 then you may have the grounds of a lawsuit against the oil company to pay for servicing of the heater.
                    lawsuit? dude? man, its just an oil stove. they are coming out to pump it out and refill it with the proper fuel and i might want them to deliver in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by guyle View Post
                      lawsuit? dude? man, its just an oil stove. they are coming out to pump it out and refill it with the proper fuel and i might want them to deliver in the future.
                      If this was the oil companies error they should be willing to pay for any services the heater requires without having to file a lawsuit, I'd certainly bring it up to them that their error caused problems with the system and it now needs to be cleaned and serviced. More than likely they are insured for this type of error and it would be nothing out of their pocket.

Comment

monitor

ok, dood. go with the flow. I am only hoping that you don't run into anymore problems after using the other fuel. if, on the back of your heater the temperature sensor wire terminates at a molex plug and receptacle, if you unplug the thermister, the unit will default to 42 degrees and will continue to run hot until either the high limit shuts the unit down or you plug the thermistor back in at which time it will revert to whatever you have the setpoint set at. Normal overshoot for a kero unit is four degrees above the setpoint.

Comment

clean 41

I really want to thank you two for your input, after the other people I've talked to it's good to know there is people out there that actually know what they are talking about. I am taking your advice and having Banner fuel do the nasty cleaning part. The fuel truck will be here Monday. I should get the the stove back by Friday, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Comment

moniter 41

the stove has been running great since i got the oil replaced. I'll give it another week then change the primary filter again after hopefully getting all the sludge i mixed up changing oil. thanx again for your input.

Comment

additives to fuel tank

I have tried numerous additives to the fuel tank to lessen condensate build up. I find that no additives should be used if the tank is kept a minimum of half filled. that's roughly 137 gallons. don't even put in denatured alcohol, as so many say.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =