Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Monitor 422 Service Manual

New guy here. This is a great site.

Does anyone have a downloadable 422 service manual? I need to rebuild the burner pot, ring, mat, gaskets, etc. I would like to have a manual before I start. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Dan

mmasessa@fairpoint.net

Originally posted by dan in maine View Post

Does anyone have a downloadable 422 service manual? I need to rebuild the burner pot, ring, mat, gaskets, etc. I would like to have a manual before I start. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Dan

mmasessa@fairpoint.net
    Check your email, your request has been fulfilled.

Comment

Thank you FordMan.

You are awesome. This is a great site.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dan in maine View Post

I need to rebuild the burner pot, ring, mat, gaskets, etc. I would like to have a manual before I start. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Dan

mmasessa@fairpoint.net
        Before you start tearing the heater apart be sure you have a long #2 Philips screwdriver to loosen the screws that hold the burn chamber to the floor of the heater. When I rebuilt the burn chamber in my 422 last Feb. I was able to buy a set of 22" screwdrivers (#2 Philips and 1/4" straight blade) from Harbor Freight for $5., probably not the best quality, but they got the job done and that's probably the only thing I'll ever use them for. I also placed a magnet near the end of the screwdriver blade to hold the screw on the tip of the screwdriver while I removed it and when I was trying to put it back in. One of the screws is located in the back corner and there's no way to get your hand in there to remove it. If you haven't already bought your parts, the cheapest place I've found original Monitor parts is Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC. You can find them on the web by searching for Hickory Home and Garden or they sell on ebay under the user name hhgconline. Their web site doesn't have the Monitor parts listed, but they have a toll free number listed on their site. When I rebuilt the burn chamber on mine the pot was still good after 16 years of service, so I cleaned the pot, replaced the burn ring and made a burn mat and gaskets from materials bought from McMaster-Carr. The burn mat can be glued to the bottom of the pot using Rutland 77 stove cement which is available at most hardware stores for about $5-6 a tube. If you want part numbers for any of the McMaster-Carr products send me a PM and I'll tell you what I used.
        Last edited by FordMan59; 12-30-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Update and Another Question

Thanks for the tips FordMan.

I have a long #2 Phillips so that was ok, also a long 1/4" ratchet extension and a #2 screwdriver bit and they both worked well. My ring is shot and will have to be replaced. The pot looks good but I will know more after a thorough cleaning.

I have another question. The burner bottom piece that the mat is glued to is only held on by two tabs that bend over into two brackets on the pot. It seems obvious but I assume you remove this bottom piece to clean and replace the mat? The bottom piece is shown on the parts illustration but does not have a part number, only the gasket for it. I don't believe I read anywhere that talked about removing this part to glue the new mat to but maybe I missed it. Please let me know.

I'm still looking locally for parts but I will definitely give Hickory Home's a call for price comparison.

Thanks again.

Dan

Comment

Disregard My Question

I see it now. The bottom piece on the burner pot is just an exterior heat shield. It has nothing to do with the mat. Once I started to clean the pot it was obvious.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =