Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 2400 88 88 code

I have an 11 yr old Monitor 2400. It has ran correctly this season however last week it began clicking off and the 88 88 code blinks. I know this usually means the electric service has been interrupted however nothing else in the house blinks showing that the electric has been interrupted. It has happened randomly but often. I have been just resetting it. Can anyone give me some ideas on what the problem may be?

This code has many meanings. My 422 was doing this when the flame rod was touching the burner ring. When is the last time your 2400 was cleaned?

One "bandaid" fix I've tried in the past was to loosen the flame rod screws and wiggle the flame rod slightly. This can break any carbon bridges that have formed between the flame rod and the pot or burn ring. However, it is just a quick fix and your problem will probably return even if this quick fix works.

Comment

Monitor 2400 blinking 88 88

Thanks for the possible temporary fix. It happened several times again today. I find it so strange because during the time period this has been happening although I have the unit powered on, due to the warmer weather it hasn't had to heatup/burn. Even when I turn the unit off( by pressing the on/off button) the 88 88 keeps blinking. It was serviced last year. But guess i am going to have to bit the bullet and call for a service call - now before the cold weather settles in here in NE Pennsylvania.

Comment

monitor

when the unit displays 88:88 it indicates an off power condition. anything else will show the appropriate E and a number error.
        with the unit plugged in and the on-off pressed, the display shows 88:88. Press the TEMP button, then set. If SET isn't pressed the unit will time out and show 88:88 again.

Comment

monitor 2400 blinking 88 88

Thanks for that info. I have always just pressed the temp button when the 88 88 occurred. Ironically at times the control panel would go occasionally go for an entire day before blinking. Being the 88 88 keeps occurring, I may call the electric company to check to see if they can tell if there are slight interruptions in the power in the area. I am so hoping to avoid a repair call if necessary.
          When I got up this morning the 88 88 was blinking so I pressed the temp button and just went to press the set after reading your response. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

I have the 2400 here at my house as the main source for heating. I also have a GF2400 propane in my kitchen. Right now both units are plugged in and both units are flashing the 88:88.
            I had the kero unit running this morning for a few hours to get the chill off. I pressed the on-off button, then the time/temp button and then the set button.
            My set point is at 72 degrees. The display read 68 and so it went through a purge cycle, then fired up. Once the room temperature reached 72, the unit went into an idle condition. No 88:88 came on. It just cycled to maintain the 72 degrees. An overshoot of 4 degrees is normal.
            My wife just pressed the on-off button and the unit displays the 88:88 and will stay that way the entire day until I do the on-off, temp/time, set operation.
            FYI, if you disconnect the temperature thermister, the unit goes into a default condition of 42 degrees and the unit continues to operate no matter what the setpoint is set at until the thermister is plugged back in, or the high limit kicks out the heater.

Comment

Monitor 2400 blinking 88 88

Thanks again for the info. After reading you press the set button after the temp, I did just that. A few minutes later it beeped and flashed 88 88. So, I dropped the temp down 2 degrees pressed set and am waiting to see what happens. It usually occurs during the night and early morning. The heater has not had to run due to warmer night temps in about 2 weeks. We too use the Monitor as a main source of heat as we have a small house, which is why I am concerned and need to have this issue resolved before the cold air comes.

Comment

AS earlier suggested see if the flamerod isn't carbonized up and touching the case or the burner ring. It shouldn't give you the 88:88 error but something else relating to the flamerod.
                Try this:
                unplug the unit for a few seconds. plug the cord back in. press the on-off button once. then press the temp/time button, then press the temp up until the setpoint is what you want, then press the set button once. check that the economizer button's led isn't lit.
                the unit should start the prepurge and go into the high heat mode.
                as mentioned before a four degree overshoot is normal. if the econo mode is used, the temp will overshoot by 8 degrees.
                if your power goes out, the 88:88 will flash. it doesn't take much of a bump to do this.

Comment

88:88 on indicator panel

Check to make sure the indicator panel wiring is connected to the main board correctly. The wires are small and need to be engaged completely.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =