X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HayZee518
    replied
    monitor or toyo

I've asked HAWKINS111 to be moderator of a new sub directory for RINNAI and TOYOSTOVE Laser Units.
    This will also include the high lift pumps and on demand hot water heaters.
    It is located within the HVAC heading.

Leave a comment:

• vangasman
    replied
    ULSD is way cleaner than the old diesel of yesterday, it will even evaporate, though not as fast as gas. I'm sure my old 30 would have no problem digesting diesel but I get it all at a discount so I just stick with kero (dyed jet A). As far as which is better Monitor or Toyo, I would probably buy a Toyo for the simple fact that they no longer make Monitors.

Leave a comment:

• FordMan59
    replied
    Not worth the risk

Originally posted by vangasman View Post
    I know some of our cheaper customers burn #2 in their Monitors and so far I have not heard of any problems. I could see more frequent cleanings being possible.
    I like to save where I can, but not at the expense of more parts and extra time spent in cleaning/repairs. I've heard of people using #2 and having lots of problems afterward. To me it's just not worth taking the risk when even a $ .50 per gallon savings would amount to $100. or less savings per winter for me. At the price of Monitor parts if it ruined anything all the savings would be lost buying new parts. In January I'll have been running mine on K1 for 18 years and the only parts I've had to replace have been 1 flame ring, 1 burn mat, and a few gaskets, the burn mat and gaskets were made using the less expensive alternative materials from McMaster-Carr.
    Last edited by FordMan59; 12-08-2013, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HayZee518
    replied
    toyo vs monitor

if toyostove is so much versatile then why do people still buy Monitor knowing that k-1 is impossible to get?
    Both cost approx the same. Could it be the efficiency of the Monitor?

Leave a comment:

• vangasman
    replied
    Here in Kalifornia K1 kero has not been available for years except at Home Depot at 10 bucks a gallon. When we changed from mtbe to ethanol they needed the storage tanks since kero is not a huge market out here. We have been using dyed jet A for years although they will not let us sell the water clear jet because they are afraid people will run it in their vehicles and it is 3000 parts per million of sulfur and ultra low sulfur diesel is 15 ppm. People even use it in wick type heaters without a huge problem. Some Toyos are made to burn #1 or #2 fuel oil and I know some of our cheaper customers burn #2 in their Monitors and so far I have not heard of any problems. I could see more frequent cleanings being possible.

Leave a comment:

• FordMan59
    replied
    ULSD Specific Gravity

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
    ULTRA LOW SULPHUR DIESEL via an MSDS SITE QUOTES THE
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY TO BE .8075 AT 60 DEGREES c

Description is HYDRO DESULPHURIZED KEROSENE
    with traces of NAPTHALENE
    Hess oil company's MSDS states specific gravity of ULSD at .83-.876

Leave a comment:

• HayZee518
    replied
    specific gravity

ULTRA LOW SULPHUR DIESEL via an MSDS SITE QUOTES THE
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY TO BE .8075 AT 60 DEGREES c

Description is HYDRO DESULPHURIZED KEROSENE
    with traces of NAPTHALENE

Leave a comment:

• savinfuel
    replied
    what about the ulsd?

ulsd us ultra low sulpher diesel what is the gravity on it?

Leave a comment:

• dfitz3390
    replied
    RE: CAPSULE TANK make sure you dont overfill

Leave a comment:

• FordMan59
    replied
    Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
    here are specific gravities of three products:
    ULTRA LOW SULPHUR DIESEL = .0054 @ 60F
    LOW SULPHUR = .84 @ 60F
    K-1 KEROSENE = .82 @ 60F

You guys make up your own mind which to use in your heater. The heater manufacturer made a statement. It is your option to follow THAT guide.
    If you burn something up, of jam something, don't come screaming here! - HayZee.
    I have no intentions of changing fuels unless I know it's fuel that's safe and will not hurt the function of the heater. I was just trying to find out whether there was another safe alternative to the K1 that is so expensive in this area.

Leave a comment:

• HayZee518
    replied
    off road

here are specific gravities of three products:
    ULTRA LOW SULPHUR DIESEL = .0054 @ 60F
    LOW SULPHUR = .84 @ 60F
    K-1 KEROSENE = .82 @ 60F

You guys make up your own mind which to use in your heater. The heater manufacturer made a statement. It is your option to follow THAT guide.
    If you burn something up, of jam something, don't come screaming here! - HayZee.

Leave a comment:

• HayZee518
    replied
    off road

what is the specific gravity of your fuel?

Leave a comment:

• pythons37
    replied
    Off Road Diesel

I specifically stated that I was using New Hampshire Off Road Diesel. It is K-1 loaded at the rack, at the terminal, into a transport truck. Then, it is driven a few yards to a station where the Red Dye is added. It is NOT Diesel with dye in it. The process takes about one hour to complete. Much longer than normal loading time. The two heaters burning in my house right now were purchased in 1986 and have been in service, ever since.

Leave a comment:

• HayZee518
    replied
    fuels

off road diesel you don't pay road use taxes on.
    regular diesel you do.
    red dyed fuel isn't special. it can be purple colored, the engine don't care.

K-1 on the other hand is a low sulphur product

Leave a comment:

• HayZee518
    replied
    difference between

I checked a site for off road diesel and road diesel and here is what it says:

Where can you purchase "off road diesel" in Massachusetts...
    There is number 1 off road diesel and number 2 off road diesel fuel, as well as number one road fuel and number two, that is a temperature... more...

Whats the Difference between Highway Diesel and off road...
    Off road diesel and highway diesel are the exact same product. #2 fuel oil (heating oil) is also the same product. Some is low sulfur, some is... more...

Is off road deisel the same as home heating oil?
    No, but it could very well be used to heat your home in an oil burning furnace. Off road diesel contains more sulfur, which adds lubrication... more...

Can off road diesel hurt your truck in the long run?
    Off road diesel is exactly the same as on road diesel. Off road diesel is dyed red and has no road tax (fuel tax) paid on it. That's why it's... more..

So be safe and used bona fide K-1 dyed or undyed kerosene. Don't destroy your heater because someone says anything different!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
=