Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy wonders about K1 filtration

I have been running a Monitor for 17 years now and have usually had my local dealer do my filter changes. But being quite skilled mechanically I figure I can easily do this myself in a few min. Has anyone ever added extra filters to a bulk external tank? And if so what are you using? I have just a single micro filter and it seems to get overrun with moisture due to the declining fuel quality these days. I am thinking an diesel truck water trap may be an option, then I can drain the water at will and save my filter by adding inline prior to the micron filter. Any thoughts out there????

I wouldn't do it. I tried that on my bulk tank and sure the water gets trapped BUT it also freezes there! Then you're stuck thawing out the trap.
    Tell ya what, make up a dipstick out of a piece of 1x1 about 50 inches long, paint it black. Then get some water detector paste and apply it to the last six inches of the stick and stick it down the inlet to the bottom of the tank. where there's water, it'll turn pink.
    Then you'll know if its time to pump out the water from your bulk tank.
    To pump out the water you'll have to jury rig a small drill operated inline pump, two pieces of garden hose and a length of 1/2 inch pvc.
    you put the pvc to the bottom and train the outlet into a jerry can. start the drill and pump out the water.
    you can then separate the kero from the water just by letting it stand. the kero will float on top of the water.
    what I did to my bulk tank when they were installing it, I told the guy to solder in a piece of 1/2 inch copper about two inches long into the outlet elbow. This way if there's any water in the tank, it'll be below the top of the two inch nipple so all your gonna get is kero. If the water ever gets to the 2 inch mark I'll know it and it'll be time to pump it out.

Comment

I like your approach. The water detector is a nice trick. Never thought about the freezing possibility. My tank is inside my basement and doesn't freeze so I have never worried about frozen water. I may try the elevated tube in the tank and add a trap. Do you think the water trap would have worked well if it never froze? I may try pumping out what little is left in my tank right now and take a look. I only have 10 or 15 gal in there at the moment. I also pitched the tank so the outlet is up hill slightly when it was installed, but I think the extension tube is a great idea. does water ever get emulsified with the K1? I seem to get much more "flame flashing" after adding to the tank (Swishing things up), so I figure I have accumulated water over the years.

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      I wouldn't do it. I tried that on my bulk tank and sure the water gets trapped BUT it also freezes there! Then you're stuck thawing out the trap.
      Tell ya what, make up a dipstick out of a piece of 1x1 about 50 inches long, paint it black. Then get some water detector paste and apply it to the last six inches of the stick and stick it down the inlet to the bottom of the tank. where there's water, it'll turn pink.
      Then you'll know if its time to pump out the water from your bulk tank.
      To pump out the water you'll have to jury rig a small drill operated inline pump, two pieces of garden hose and a length of 1/2 inch pvc.
      you put the pvc to the bottom and train the outlet into a jerry can. start the drill and pump out the water.
      you can then separate the kero from the water just by letting it stand. the kero will float on top of the water.
      what I did to my bulk tank when they were installing it, I told the guy to solder in a piece of 1/2 inch copper about two inches long into the outlet elbow. This way if there's any water in the tank, it'll be below the top of the two inch nipple so all your gonna get is kero. If the water ever gets to the 2 inch mark I'll know it and it'll be time to pump it out.

Comment

10 or 15 gallons of raw water in a fuel tank is an extreme amount of water. You need to make up a stripper pump as HayZee mentioned and get as much of that raw water out as you can. Everytime you fill up, all that water will be agitated and some will get broken down small enough to go through the filter. Because your tank won't freeze, a mud leg would work to help get the raw water out before it is trapped by the filter.

Comment

Sorry, not 15 gal of water, 15 gal of K1 with some water likely in it. Can you describe this "mud leg"? I am guessing it is basically a low point with a drain before the filter like on a oil burning truck or tractor.

QUOTE=hawkins111;55321]10 or 15 gallons of raw water in a fuel tank is an extreme amount of water. You need to make up a stripper pump as HayZee mentioned and get as much of that raw water out as you can. Everytime you fill up, all that water will be agitated and some will get broken down small enough to go through the filter. Because your tank won't freeze, a mud leg would work to help get the raw water out before it is trapped by the filter.[/QUOTE]

Comment

It's just a drip leg like they used to put in with the old natural gas lines. In the outlet pipe from your tank install a TEE with the TEE part pointing down. Add a six inch nipple and a cap. Kero floats on water so water will be trapped and kero goes right through.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =