Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success, I put the heater back in a few minutes ago. The first attempt it didn't start up so I thought I still had a problem. Checked everything out and found I'd forgot to plug the wires back on the fuel pump. Reset the heater tried again and it fired up first attempt. This time while I had the pot/chamber out I took the flame ring to a local welding shop and had them weld it all around the circumference and hit the clips that hold the ring in the pot with a little welding. I figure this will probably increase the life of the ring by many years since the welds will have to break before the ring can start to mushroom and flare out touching the flame detector rod.

Tom, another good way to get the screws out of the pump is put a 1/4" drive x 1/4" socket on a ratchet then put a screwdriver tip in the end of the socket. The screws on mine were at an angle that even with the 90* drivers I had things were still in the way of getting in the slots of the screws.
    Last edited by FordMan59; 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

If that pickup point was dirty there might be more dirt in the sump. Just by pulling the drain screw all the way out will get most of it out. And then clean the filter. I usualy pull the whole sump out. 2 wires, unhook the fuel tube, extend the heater leg, and it's just two screws and the sump come out on it's "tray"

I am rebuilding a 422 and the rings are $90 now! The one that was in there just has 3 of the 6 welds cracked, might try to find someone that does stainless to try to weld it too!

Comment

Those rings aren't made of stainless. Any wire welder should do the job just be careful welding it or you might burn a hole through the thin sheet metal. Getting mine welded and grinding down the welds smooth took about 15 minutes. I drained the sump and cleaned the filter prior to pulling the pump out, yet when I removed the pump and used an eye dropper to remove the fuel in the sump it picked up other trash and a little water out of the sump. Is it possible you could beat any edges that have turned out back down and have your old ring welded and keep it for a spare? The place I took mine to have it welded is just a small family owned business, they charged me $10. to weld it and grind it. I figure if it extends the life of the ring by 2+ years it will be money well spent.
        Last edited by FordMan59; 01-24-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

You have stated in the past you use the capsule tank. Since you have had to service the constant level valve, I think you need to look at the fuel sump that is under the capsule tank. The sump has a stand pipe in it so it does not take fuel right off the bottom. Because the constant valve has dirt and water in it, the sump has got to have contamination.

Very few people use the capsule tank here in Alaska. They are a pain to use and end up smelling up the house. Storing and transferring fuel leads to contamination as well.

A siphon is a much better way to deal with that the sump. Taking it out is a real pain.

Tom

Comment

I cleaned that sump out about a year or two ago. There was lint and water in it at the time that had accumulated over the years but I think I got it cleaned pretty good. I have 4 capsule tanks that I keep filled all the time so when one runs dry I don't have to worry about refilling it right that minute if I'm busy with something else. With having 4 of the tanks even in the coldest weather we have around here I could probably go 2-3 days without having to worry about refilling any tanks before running completely out. When I lived in NC I had the heater piped to a 55 gallon drum and hopefully one day I'll get around to doing that here in KY.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan59 View Post
              Those rings aren't made of stainless. Any wire welder should do the job just be careful welding it or you might burn a hole through the thin sheet metal. Getting mine welded and grinding down the welds smooth took about 15 minutes. I drained the sump and cleaned the filter prior to pulling the pump out, yet when I removed the pump and used an eye dropper to remove the fuel in the sump it picked up other trash and a little water out of the sump. Is it possible you could beat any edges that have turned out back down and have your old ring welded and keep it for a spare? The place I took mine to have it welded is just a small family owned business, they charged me $10. to weld it and grind it. I figure if it extends the life of the ring by 2+ years it will be money well spent.

Looked like stainless. In my town of 400, we are lucky enuf to have a master welder. But that $10 price makes me jealous! I have two or three rings that look like they could be welded. hell, if I could have all three done for $50 or $60 I would be happy. Will talk to him in the next few days and see what he thinks. If I get them welded, I will post pictures and make a new thread.

Comment

@ctbale, I wish you luck in getting them welded at a good price. Mine hasn't created any problems and has now been in service for between 1-2 weeks. Before I moved to KY I lived in NC. There was an older man that was a farmer and had a little welding shop, he was probably in his late 70's. I don't think he ever charged me more than $5. for any small job he did for me. I remember a couple times him asking me if $2. was too much.
                Last edited by FordMan59; 01-25-2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan59 View Post
                  @ctbale, I wish you luck in getting them welded at a good price. Mine hasn't created any problems and has now been in service for between 1-2 weeks. Before I moved to KY I lived in NC. There was an older man that was a farmer and had a little welding shop, he was probably in his late 70's. I don't think he ever charged me more than $5. for any small job he did for me. I remember a couple times him asking me if $2. was too much.

$2 ... Thats awesome!

I will show this guy 3 rings and see what he says. And I might just "forget" to tell him for me to get 3 rings new would be about $270 !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ctbale View Post
                    I might just "forget" to tell him for me to get 3 rings new would be about $270 !!!
                    I think I'd forget to tell him that. Say something like if it doesn't cost too much I'll just have these old ones rewelded and use them instead of buying new ones. He doesn't have to know if they are welded all the way around they will probably last longer than a new one. When I rebuilt the chamber in my 422 in 2012 a new ring cost me $55. so they've gone up about $35 in the last 7 years. This is the ring that I just had welded. Pretty ridiculous price for $. 50 worth of sheet metal and 5 minutes worth of welding.
                    Last edited by FordMan59; 01-26-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

My neighbor weld up 3 rings, came out nice!

Cost: Some fire wood!

Comment

Originally posted by ctbale View Post
                        My neighbor weld up 3 rings, came out nice!

Cost: Some fire wood!
                        Good deal.

Comment

I should have updated this much sooner but, the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump being covered with trash/lint is what was causing the problem with the heater running on high and still not keeping the house warm. It's been back in service nearly 2 years with no further problems. I just wanted post this in case anyone else ever has the same problem they'll have an idea of what to look for.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =