Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor

the metal cover over the igniter should feel warm when the unit starts up to heat. you might check it with an ohm meter too!
    when it calls for heat use the meter set on 200 volts and measure the voltage on the heater [on the circuit board terminals]

Comment

• You might also try unplugging the unit for a few minute to let the computer reset .

Comment

• Looks like you better start looking for a ignitor. The ignitor is going to get hot before the fuel ever starts pumping. If you got most of the oil out the ignitor will burn off any extra in the pre ignition stage.

Comment

• If you vent was covered then the heater could not pull in any air thru the combustion blower so therfore the air pressure switch will not let the fuel pump come on. It appears your real problem is the ignitor. You can unhook it from the board and check the ignitor itself with a ohm meter to see if you are getting a reading thur it. If it is good you should get a reading on it.

Comment

• computer reset

you only need to unplug the unit for a second to reset the onboard computer. leaving it unplugged longer doesn't accomplish anything

Comment

• flooded M441

I hope you looked at the pad under the burner to be sure it was not soaked with fuel? If the fuel gets too high in the pot it can spill out the air holes as well as the igniter hole. You can not afford to start the heater unless you are certain the pad is dry. A fire on the air side of the pot will melt the air hose and cause all kinds of trouble. As has been stated, I think you are going to need a new igniter. An OHM check should show you 12.7 Ohms.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                you only need to unplug the unit for a second to reset the onboard computer. leaving it unplugged longer doesn't accomplish anything
                That's good to know , I thought it would have to be off long enough to have to reset the clock .

Comment

• Time for a new ignitor

First of all, thanks for all the posts. I did some testing on the ignitor no / infinite resistance across the ignitor and ~117volt across the board when calling for ignition. It's time to start looking for new ignitors - I'm not sure how the ignitor would have broken because of the vent becoming plugged with snow. There was a pocket of sooty snow probably, from an air starved monitor burning rich but I don't what that would do to cause the ignitor to fail.
                  Anyone have sources for ignitors?

Comment

• mpi parts

eBay, Nelson & Small in Maine, Keeseville NY - Adirondack Hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                      Anyone have sources for ignitors?
                      Hickory Home and Garden in Hickory, NC. They can be found on the web by looking up Hickory Home and Garden where they have a toll free number listed or they sell on ebay under the user name hhgconline. They've got the cheapest Monitor replacement parts I've been able to find. When I ordered from them they shipped USPS priority mail and I had my parts in KY in about 2-3 days.
                      Last edited by FordMan59; 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Flooded no more

All,
                        Thanks for the previous help - the new ignitor is in and working. I don't have rely on a woodstove now. Good call on the soaked gaskets, I had to dry them out.
                        -Chris

Comment

• Filter screen installation

So I took the filter screen out of my 441 to clean it out and dammit my short attention span got the better of me. Does the screen go back in with the spring and tit in the well, or does it go back with the spring an tit against the cover?

This is driving me crazy!

Thanks

Comment

• M441 filter and spring

The filter goes first and then the spring. The spring should touch the cover.

Tom

Comment

• Some questions about 441

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
                              The filter goes first and then the spring. The spring should touch the cover.

Tom
                              Tom (Hay, and everybody):

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated!

I have some questions about a 441 I have been running for quite a few years, maybe 10. Every year I clean water out of my outside tank, take apart fuel tank filter housing, drain any condensed water, replace filter, purge fuel line until kero looks bright red and clear. I clean the fuel pump sump in place, I haven't ever taken it out Remove & clean the fuel filter from right side of stove.

I usually fuss around some getting the fuel pump to start working. It usually starves a few times then starts working.

This year things didn't go so well. First when I tried to light the stove for the first time after cleaning everything, the blower motor was stuck and wouldn't turn. After a bunch of tries it started turning, but was howling. I thought I would light the stove just to make sure everything else worked, and then order a blower motor.

The stove lit and actually got to running on high, but very quickly after that it the stove shut down, no error number, but after a while lights started flashing. Looking in the fuel pump it is clear that fuel is not replenishing, so the stove is starved for kero.

While fiddling with the opened fuel pump, I noticed that the lever on right side didn't seem to do anything, I pushed harder on it and there is a spring that popped off on the right side, it appears to hold the lever back. Could you (or anyone tell me how that spring attaches? I see the attachment point on the left facing the stove, but where does it attach on the right? It seemed like the lever hadn't been doing anything and was stuck, After I pushed hard on it and popped the spring, it seems like it has to travel excessively to do its job. I never really used that lever, I don't know if it was hooked up properly from the get go.

I first need to get the stove running, then replace the blower motor, or at least replace the bearings. After that I would appreciate any advice on going through the entire stove and doing a rebuild. I have heard that parts may become very hard to find for monitor stoves soon.

I have looked at the rebuild kits available on ebay. I can either tackle it myself or have a repairman do the rebuild. I would like to tackle it myself and save some money. Honestly I am a bit overwhelmed right now. Maybe I will feel better if I can just get the stove running and repair the blower.

Thanks very much for any advice
                              Charley
                              Last edited by Chas123; 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• reset lever

that spring is attached to the toggle over center lever that in turn touches the bottom side of the needle valve. the valve has two metal projections that catch on the toggle reset. when activated, the needle valve is closed.
                                newer units are just a button that moves the float away from a magnet that holds the needle valve shut.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =