Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 441 Fuel Nozzle

Hello Everyone,

Troubleshooting a fuel problem in my 7 year old Monitor 441 I attempted to gently remove the fuel line from the burn chamber with a 13mm short wrench and instead gently removed the threaded fitting (turnbuckle) from the chamber with the fuel line and nozzle and seal. This leads to a couple of questions. First, is it time for a new burn chamber as in not repairable? Second issue, as the fuel nozzle came out with the fuel line intact, the fuel nozzle cover fell into the chamber. Damaging nothing (other than pride). Question is, does the cover just slip over the nozzle? It seems like a loose fit?

Thanks All

Kevin

The fuel fitting for the burn chamber is welded to the side of the chamber. There is NO turnbuckle (?) Don't understand this nomenclature. There is NO burn nozzle per se. The brass extension tube that fell off inside is normal. It fits over the kero tubing in the burn chamber. you might get away with having the fuel fitting tig welded to the burn chamber wall.

Comment

To answer your question we will start with the second part first. The nozzle cover does just fit over the fuel nozzle loosely. As you probably see it may be hard to remove the nozzle from the nipple. Now for the burner. You will have to remove the burner to see if you can “weld” it. It is braised from the factory at the right angle to match up with the combustion chamber hole. If you can find someone good that will get it just right you might be in. In any case you will need to deal with a new burner mat, burner ring and all the gaskets needed to put things back. While you are at it you might as well clean the last chamber of the heat exchanger, as that is where all the carbon collects. Monitor glues most gaskets on the combustion chamber during installation and so should you. That means you will need a couple of tubes of glue. It’s not just any glue, its Monitor Glue and it’s not cheap. If you have a manual you can see just which gaskets and parts you need. It’s not a hard job but may take you a while the first time.

Tom

Comment

look back in a few of my posts. there you will find a reference to burner mat material. my choice was an acryllic coated ceramic fiber material. it is .040 thick and lies reasonably flat in the burner chamber bottom. for glue I use rutland no. 77 or no. 44 cement. the 44 cement is black and air dries. it develops full cure when subjected to heat. gaskets are also from mcmaster-carr - also ceramic fiber but these come in sheets, one-half inch thick and are peelable to the thickness you need. the ceramic gasket material will withstand 1800 degrees. the combustion chamber is removable by unscrewing the four heat exchanger screws, the air tube from below the chamber and six screws around the base. the chamber is removable by rocking it back and forth and pulling up. there's a gasket underneath it. the chamber's inner part also unscrews.

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I have the chamber removed It appears to be in fine shape. I will attempt to have the fuel fitting tig welded. I have a great welder friend who works on my aircraft (and furnace). I will let you know how it turns out in a few days.

kevin

Comment

Working...
          X
          =