Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 441 E-01

Just found this forum today. Looks like you guys know your stuff! I hope you can help with this small catastrophe.

My stepson took the Monitor 441 outside to blow it out with the air hose. It WAS pretty nasty, after all. It's at least 10 years old. When I got home, I moved it back and hooked it up. The stove worked, partially. Almost all of the buttons on the control panel weren't being recognized. The on/off button and the set button were the only two that worked. Couldn't adjust the temperature up or down, and it was set on 54 degrees. I had a brainstorm and grabbed a bag of frozen veggies from the freezer and put them on the end of the thermocouple wire. When it began registering under 54, the stove fired up normally, no issues.

So, it seemed obvious to me that the switches in the control panel needed a good shot of contact cleaner. I unplugged the stove, and after it cooled, took off the top and the front panel, and removed the control panel. But when I unplugged the two bundles of wires from the computer motherboard, it became crystal clear what was the issue. On top of the motherboard, hung on a component, was the largest piece of mouse droppings I have ever seen. And directly under it were the two plug-ins from the control panel. The pins and connectors were corroded green from mouse urine.

I bought an industrial-size can of contact cleaner (CRC QD Electronic Cleaner) and sprayed the pins liberally, and then sprayed them again. I used a brass-bristle brush to clean the pins, then sprayed them a third time. I sprayed the nylon bundle of wires (what do you call those things, anyway?) several times, but couldn't do any physical scraping.

Now when I plug in the stove, it shows 88:88 until I turn on the stove. Then it shows E-01 and gives a repetitive beeping noise. I read somewhere on the internet that E-01 means the fire something is grounded, and I looked at a photo that was posted on this site of a monitor 441. Mine doesn't look like the photo though. Both the paperwork and the label on the side say it's a M-441 though.

Any idea what I should do to get this thing up and running? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to include as much pertinent information as I could.

Umm, never mind guys. Looks like someone upstairs is smiling down on me today. While I was over here typing this post, my stepson was over there pulling all the wires off the motherboard and plugging them back in. Not the ones we fixed... every other wire on the motherboard. Now it's working perfectly.

Thought I would post this in hopes of helping someone else.

Comment

I agree with you about not fixing what doesn't need fixing, but the corrosion from the rat pee gets sucked into the connection. after time it corrodes the insides. the cable you are referring to is called a flat cable assembly or ribbon cable. the plastic connectors are called molex connectors. the e-01 refers to the flamerod or its connector

Comment

Working...
      X
      =