Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 22 fuel pump

The fuel pump for my furnice has stopped working it no longer makes any noise, the furnice turns on the ignighter gets hot but no fuel is getting to the burner is there a way to test the solenoid for the system? Or is one of the relays marked #'s 1 thru 7 possibly responsible? Should I try to take apart the chamber where the fuel line comes off and out to the burner or am I going to end up with a mess I can't get back together? I am also searching for a place to purchase parts and a repair manual. I have torn the unit completely apart in the past for cleaning the burn chanmber and such so I am familiar with the system.
    Last edited by JRO; 11-13-2010, 12:01 PM.

the fuel solenoid pulses with 120 volts. whether it is measurable I'm not sure. the 41 and 21 and 22 used a tristan pump and controller. I don't think you can even get them anymore BUT try monitor suppliers. remove the sump tank completely and clean it out with GUMOUT carb cleaner. clean the filter in the bottom of the tank. test the pump by placing the output tube in a glass jar and start the unit and the pump end in another jar in some fuel.
    if its working you'll hear a click clicking noise till the pump primes and starts to pump fuel.

Comment

M22 fuel pump

To trouble shoot the fuel pump on a Monitor 22 you should start by making sure the air and exhaust pipe is not blocked with ice or snow. Check the little rubber hose from the blower case to the air safety switch. You will need to jumper the air safety switch or prove it with a volt/ohm meter. If the blower motor is not turning up to speed you might be able oil the bushings to get it going. Next, check the voltage from the main circuit board. Remove the connector on the fuel pump controller. Turn the stove on and try to start up. When the burner status light come on you should see 110 volts on the orange and black wires. If there is no voltage the main circuit is bad. If there is voltage you will need to check the solenoid pump. The resistance across the blades on the pump with the wires disconnected should be around 675 ohms.If you find the pump is bad you are going to have a hard time finding one. If the main circuit board is bad you may be able to send it to Mathis Electric in NC and have it fixed.

Good luck, keep us posted,

Tom

Comment

Lube?

What is the best lube for the combustion chamber blower, on a Monitor 422.
        Someone mentioned Mobile1... that would seem a bit heavy.
        What is the best oil for those bearings?

Comment

if you can get the seals off, 3 in one oil is best. replacement bearings are 608Z, same kind used in inline skates.

Comment

Lube?

That kind of surprised me, about 3-in-1 oil. Haven't used that in years. I used to, but I became leary of it. Many years ago, I used to service Kodak and Bell & Howe 16 mm projectors. We used to see the roller bearings frozen up from 3-in-1 oil. It was great general lube, but was thin and would be thrown out under warmth and use/speed. Manufacturer recommended using "sewing machine" (about 5 wt oil) or a nondetergent 10 wt (hard to find now). I have some of the light oils, but was hesitant to use something so light on it, for the same reason. I have no bearing noise and seems to be running at rightr rpm. This would be just as part of servicing this unit.. It was given to me, used, but in good shape. So, I have no way of knowing how much use it has had. Using something like Mobile1 oil, in our Alaskan winters, would make me wonder if it would thicken in the bearings too much... if I let the unit get cold... and not spin up to speed properly.
            Thanks for any feedback

Comment

the monitor will tell you when the bearings are getting dry. when the unit starts up it'll sound like a jet fan winding up. marvel mystery oil is good. black n decker grease [looks like snot] is good. hawkins111 lives in alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
                To trouble shoot the fuel pump on a Monitor 22 you should start by making sure the air and exhaust pipe is not blocked with ice or snow. Check the little rubber hose from the blower case to the air safety switch. You will need to jumper the air safety switch or prove it with a volt/ohm meter. If the blower motor is not turning up to speed you might be able oil the bushings to get it going. Next, check the voltage from the main circuit board. Remove the connector on the fuel pump controller. Turn the stove on and try to start up. When the burner status light come on you should see 110 volts on the orange and black wires. If there is no voltage the main circuit is bad. If there is voltage you will need to check the solenoid pump. The resistance across the blades on the pump with the wires disconnected should be around 675 ohms.If you find the pump is bad you are going to have a hard time finding one. If the main circuit board is bad you may be able to send it to Mathis Electric in NC and have it fixed.

Good luck, keep us posted,

Tom
                The solenoid pump on my M-441 does not run!
                Will the solenoid pump still run with 575 ohms across the blades or does it have to be closer to 675 ohms? I might have to check the voltage being supplied to the solenoid pump.
                Thanks for your reply.
                Puggs

Comment

M441 fuel pump

Puggs,

A M441 is completely different from a M22. A M441 uses pulsing voltage to run the pump. You will need an expensive Volt/ Ohm meter to read pulsing voltage. Monitor does not even give us a value for the voltage. The resistance of a M441 solenoid pump is around 565 Ohm’s. If the pump is not working you may have something as simple as a iced over exhaust or a broken air safety hose. You could have something as expensive as a bad main circuit board. Put your finger on the fuel line to the burner when the burner light comes on. If you feel a thumping the pump is working. If so check for blocked nozzle, dirty filter on stove or tank.

Tom

Comment

I am done playing with it. I am going to bring it in to get serviced!!!!! Puggs

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =