Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply caulk to seal water pipe through basement wall

My 1 inch plastic water pipe from the utility comes through the basement wall inside a 10 foot long plastic sleeve which runs underneath the front porch. The sleeve runs downhill from the front of the porch to where it enters the basement wall. In the basement, the installers caulked the space between the inside of the sleeve and the outside of the plastic water pipe to prevent any water in the plastic sleeve from leaking into the basement. I do not know what type of caulk was used. The caulk seal lasted for 10 years without any problem.

Recently I had plumbing work done in the basement and I had to re-caulk the space between sleeve and plastic water pipe. Apparently my caulking job was not good enough because after 6 weeks, the seal started to leak - water in the sleeve was dripping into the basement. I used GE Silicone II 100% silicone caulk that I put on in thin layers. See the attached photo.

Questions:
    (1) Is GE Silicone II 100% silicone caulk the proper material to seal between the sleeve and plastic water pipe?
    (2) Is there some technique I should use when applying the caulk to ensure that the caulk adheres to the plastic water pipe so that the seal does not break over time?

Thank you.
    Attached Files

seal

use maximum expanding urethane foam to seal the sleeve and pipe. apply both inside and outside.
    I do not know why the original installers sloped the inlet sleeve [towards] the foundation walls.
    usually anything entering the house is away [down-grade] from the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      use maximum expanding urethane foam to seal the sleeve and pipe. apply both inside and outside.
      I do not know why the original installers sloped the inlet sleeve [towards] the foundation walls.
      usually anything entering the house is away [down-grade] from the walls.
      Thank you for responding!

"Maximum expanding urethane foam" - would this be similar to "Great Stuff", "Touch 'N Foam Max Fill", "Dap Kwik Foam Sealant", or similar?

Comment

sealant

exactly. any of those products that say MAXIMUM EXPANDING. The pressure the expanding foam exhibits will keep the pipe pretty much centered within the sleeve.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =