Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basement shower install

I had a plumber come and install a purchased shower base in the new basement bathroom. He had to move the drain in the floor to get it to fit but he did not fill in the hole made with cement. He just placed the shower base on top. Is that standard practice? What about bugs and such coming up through the hole?

Thanks,
    Wayne

dammm, didja ask him why he did that? i am doing the exact same job. i am renting a 60 lb jack hammer on saturday and i have to move the drain over 10". i have never donew this before..every resource i have read you tear it up,then you move the drain, rebuild everything then you set it in cement the way you found it....is this in the basement slab....what did the plumbing inspector say about this? you did pull a permit for this right? where i live it is only $40. And since you are using a licnesed plumber, the city can hold him to his work or the state can pull his license...what kind of shower did you put in? See my post just before this one!!!!!
    quote:Originally posted by Wayne

I had a plumber come and install a purchased shower base in the new basement bathroom. He had to move the drain in the floor to get it to fit but he did not fill in the hole made with cement. He just placed the shower base on top. Is that standard practice? What about bugs and such coming up through the hole?

Thanks,
    Wayne
    It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Hi all,
      He didn't do anything to the hole? I just did some jack hammering myself. According to the directions of my standup shower it required a 5 inch radius around the drain pipe approximately a couple of inches down. I still tamped and used concrete to fill in the rest. You don't want any shifting with the shower pan I heard they are liable to crack.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =