Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Bother With The Plumbing Code At All?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Bother With The Plumbing Code At All?

Quite often I hear people make the remark that they are not concerned with the code so long as the water and drainage works. Contrary to the beliefs of most people, the Plumbing Code is not a building Code at all, It is a health code. Most of the regulations in the plumbing code are created as a result of health problems that can effect the entire community at large. The sole purpose of the code is to insure the delivery of a safe supply of potable water and the proper disposal of sanitary waste.

It is further the sworn obligation and duty of a journeyman plumber to insure there be no cross connectons that could posibly introduce contaminated water into your residential or the public water supply.

I will wholeheartedly agree that your dishwasher will probably work fine without an air gap in the drain line or a check valve on the supply, and you really dont need a vacuum breaker on your outside hose bib, and in all probability you can get by without venting exactly by code, but I sleep much better at night knowing that I did my work to code specs and I do not have to worry about my family, my customers or my community at large suffering from cantaminated drinking water as a result of my work.

Can you say the same about your shortcuts?

R.Rinard- Journeyman Plumber

Well...while we are expressing our opinions about code. I'd like to say that I understand your statement and if better safe than sorry is satisfactory for you, I can respect that but, I can site a particular local code that personally effects me and has completely baffled me for years.

I am required to have a back flow prevention valve (double check valve) on my city water line to prevent the possibility of any of my well water accidentally being pumping into the city lines. Understandable, but not when my city and well lines are complete separate entities. They are in no way connected and could only be connected using a hose from one faucet to another. I've protected against that by making the connections different sizes so that even if you were a complete stranger in my house you’d have to find an adapter to do it. The intent of the code is clear but just like all things in life, not every situation is solved by a black and white rule. Exceptions should be considered.

None of this would even bother me except for the fact that I'm also required to have a yearly inspection of the back flow valve costing me $45 to $60 dollars depending on who I call. Nice, easy quick buck for you if you’re my plumber. Ridiculous and unnecessary if you're me.

Comment

I feel the same way you do. I feel I'm doing what I can, so why are you (code enforcers) checking on me? Go bother the ones who aren't doing it 'right'. But I've finally come to terms with it: I realize that the 'code-enforcers' don't know which of us are doing it right or wrong. So they need to check everybody. Kind of like the 'bad-guys'. They look just like the good guys! How do we know who's who?

Comment

Wow..I am amazed that they will even allow you to keep your well pump. In my jurisdiction when a structure is connected to the municipal water system we are required to remove the pump and cut the well line off below grade outside the structure.
        I would certainly agree that in many cases code enforcement officials can be a bit overzealous, especially in the cases of conscientious homeowners and DIY'ers such as yourselves, BUT..for every conscientious homeowner, or tradesman for that matter, there are no doubt a dozen out there who are more concerned with the bottom line then the intent of the codes. Many people have the notion that if the water flows,,the drains dont block up and the lights come on, all is well. I personally not only have no problem with homeowners and DIY'ers but I often go out of my way to offer advice that will help them do it right the first time, which is evidenced by my continued participation in not only this forum but three others. For those of you who strive to do the job right, my hat is off to you, and rest assured i will help in whatever manner i can, and for those who feel cutting corners is the way to go, I thank you, I make a good living reworking butchered jobs.

Comment

Good one about reworking butchered jobs. After the closing on my first home purchase several lifetimes back, my dad went with us to look the place over REAL close. We're in the basement and I hear Dad talkin' a blue streak, and I went there to check...Here's Dad (a nearby community fire marshall!!) yankin' fuses out of the panel. Yep, they weree the screw in type. And he's going off about why there's 30 amp fuses all over in this box!! Needless to say, those were promptly changed! But, the bad part was how a window a/c had been installed. It was hard wired with 14 from the unit to the panel. It was a 220 reverse air unit, besides! And....one leg was double wired to an existing circuit! Want more? Rather than drill the holes through the floor joists, it was draped along theose staples that hold pipes to the joists. The kicker to this is that pipe was the one inch black feeder pipe to the gas furnace! As it was a small township, there were no inspections req'd. Many bullets were dodged that day! As a purchaser, I pray for and praise those inspectors. As a seller.....

Comment

I was just called to look at a job today wherein the homeowner was building a small two room addition with a bath. The homeowner stated to me that the inspector recommended he get a plumber. When i contacted the zoning office to pull a permit I was informed that there had already been a self help permit, which was rescinded by the inspector because the inspector noted 103 voilations in the addition, and another 175 in the general plumbing of the primary structure. The zoning office informed me that the building certifiacte of occupancy had been rescinded and in order to get it reissued we will have to basically rip out all plumbing, supply and drain and waste, and replace it. They gave me a copy of the inspectors report. The most common violatons noted was ABS and PVC glued together, numerous PVC pressure 90's in the drain & waste system, no cleanouts, improper installation of sanitary tee's where sanitary wye's & quater bends or combo's are required, a kitchen vent terminated in the attic space and no vent on the laundry drain, not to mention, a utility sink that empties directly on the ground in a crawlspace. The present supply line to the toilet is a 1/4 inch roll copper line connected to the water heater inlet tube by means of a saddle tap. The report states that in one location a section of cast iron soil pipe was cut out to permit a new tap. The new PVC line was connected to the existing cast by means of an inner tube rubber gasket, a section of round heating duct and three hose clamps.

Although the homeowner did not mention the fact to me, the inspector said an order of condemnation is being issued and the homeowner was ordered to vacate the structure until all repairs were completed and inspected.

Comment

Yeah, Lazy, and those are the kinds of people that would take that info as a good reason/excuse to not call the inspector/pull the permit. They don't know how much they don't know...

Comment

The only thing I can respond to that is simply this, THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK. While there are many people in this world who seem to contentedly muddle through life doing things their own way, I personally believe the people who post questions on this forum honestly and sincerely hope to do the job right, otherwise they wouldn't waste their time here, they would be off doing it their own way.

It is for the benefit of those who desire to do a job right that I like to come in here and offer my assistance. In turn, I personally feel that if i respond to a post, it is my obligation and duty to point out the correct methods as presently permitted by codes and regulations and offer little hints and tips that may make their projects go a bit easier.

What the reader does with that information is totally up to them, for it is not within my power to inspect or criticize anyones job.

Some have asked my why I do this? Is it ego? Do i receive any compensation? Does it in any way enhance my business? The answer to two of those questions is simply NO. I am very well adjusted and quite content with both my lifestyle and my profession, so I dont require an ego boost, and given that no one reading this forum knows the actual name of my business I dont expect this has much influencs on that either. Do I receive any compensation? Absolutely YES! As a practicing journeyman tradesman it is not only my obligation to do my job in the most professional manner that i can, it is also my obligation to pass my skills on to the next generation for the good of our society in general. Anyone, whether a novice homeowner, experienced DIY'er or practicing tradesman knows the fellings of personal satisfaction as you reflect upon a job done well, but if one really wants to feel a sense of personal pride take on an apprentice, and watch thier skills grow as a result of your tutalage. On the job my thanks come in the form of a bill paid on time, but in my heart, the true sense of accomplishment comes in the form or the "Thank You's" i receive from people who were able to complete they task with my help.

Comment

Well said. And good attitude. Thanks to people like you and Hube and Kaktus and all the other 'people-that-know' that help keep us going in the right direction. Thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =