Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relief Valve

Hello, I'm a newbie to these boards and a newbie to plumbing.

My 3 year old hot water heater starting "leaking" from the relief valve a few weeks ago. Not a continuous leak, but maybe once or twice a week I'll see a couple of tablespoons to a 1/2 pint of water in the tin I put underneath the valve.

I've been told 2 things: either I need to replace the relief valve or I need an expansion tank. I was told to hook up a water pressure gauge with a lazy hand to the washing machine line to test the water pressure. I did this last night and it got up to 85 psi....but no water in the tin this time. What do you suggest? I heard that if it goes above 150 I need an expansion tank???

Please help.
    Thank you in advance,
    Arthur.

The International Residential Code (IRC 2902.1) and the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC 602) both state that a pressure regulating valve is required if the supply pressure exceeds 80 PSI.

The pressure regulator must also provide an internal bypass relief for excess pressure or an expansion tank is required. The expansion tank is normally placed on the water heater cold water supply line.

Comment

I do already have a pressure reducing valve. Is that what you are talking about? [remember I'm a newbie]

Comment

If you have a pressure reducing valve it should be serviced.

Immediately ahead of the pressure reducing valve there should be a sediment screen that needs to be cleaned periodically, then the valve should be adjusted to reduce your line pressure below 80psi.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =