Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe noise

Every now and then, we hear a ticking noise from the pipes, like a clock. When the water is being used, no noise. After the toilet stops or faucet turned off, about a minute later the ticking noise starts. We can hear it in the wall, powder room, and basement. Our laundry room is upstairs, we have 2 1/2 baths. Tonight it's getting ridiculous. It just started after doing 2 loads of wash.

I can hear the noise from the cold water pipe coming from the hot water heater and a little vibration. I can also hear it outside by the outside faucet. It sounds like the clanking of copper pipes. This is strange!! As the washer is filling with water, the noise stops and then starts up again.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
    Rich

Heheheh - call Ghost Busters!

Comment

If there's any greenish vapors seeping through a wall crack, I'd sell!!!!
      Okay, serious up here!.....
      My cousin had a lot of repair work done in their house because of a copper pipe laying hard against a wall stud. As the water was used, there wsa enough of a temperature change to cause that pipe to expand and contract. It was the cold water supply to the toilet. Although it took many years to wear through, it caused just a small hole and the resultant pressure kept spraying the inside of the wall. So, I'm suspecting, (barring and ghosts or goblins), there may be some pipes changing position a bit and causing that creaking. A stethoscope on the wall would get you real close as to where the creaking is taking place. Repairs/changes can follow that.

Comment

The problem is most likely resulting from a leaking toilet flush valve flapper. The water level in the toilet tank leaks down a bit, then the water valve opens to make up the minor loss. Not enough to be noticed as a normal fill, but enough to cause a minor water hammer when the valve closes.

To test the flapper, closely examine the water in the toilet bowl after the fill cycle has stopped. If you see any ripples or motion in the water, the flapper is leaking.

Another way to test the flapper is to wait until the tank is full and the water valve stops filling, then add a few drops of food coloring to the water in the tank. If the colored water gets into the bowl the flapper is leaking.

The solution is to replace the flapper.

When installing a flapper it is important to make sure the hangers are properly positioned or in the case of a ring style hanger on the standpipe, make sure it is positioned correctly.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =