Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing fittings/pipes/etc.

Is there a book available that would show me what types of plumbing fitting, pipes, adaptors, etc. are available complete with pictures of what they look like? I am not a plumber and spend considerable time (everytime I tackle a plumbing project at home) running to the local hardware store with a hand drawn diagram trying to explain what I am doing and then have them tell me what I need. I would like to know what is available, the correct way to determine the diameter, etc. so that I am not making a complete fool of myself everytime I tackle a home plumbing project. Thanks in advance.

Searching this forum will answer a lot of your questions. Also a couple of moderators around here have created some drawings that should help identify parts and names, such as http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...?TOPIC_ID=2024. Take a look and let us know if it helps.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Try
    Try

Comment

Stanley Tools has created a nice "Basic Plumbing" book that is very well illustrated. It is available at Lowes & Home Depot for about $20.

To Offer some basic information:

Plumbing pipe and fittings are classified in two categories,
      1. suppy/pressure piping
      2. Drain, Waste & Vent (DWV)piping which is also called "sanitary piping.

Pipe and fittings are classified by:

1.MATERIAL TYPE- Black Iron Pipe(BIP), Galvanized Iron Pipe (GIP),Brass, Bronze, Hardened Bronze, PVC, CPVC, ABS, Cast Iron, Lead, Copper.

2. Pipe is classified by its internal diameter (ID)
      A.DIAMETERS 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.5 inch. Above 2.5 inch pipe graduates by full inches.

3. Pipe "SCHEDULE" indicates wall thickness. Basically the higher the number the thicker the pipe wall.

4. NOMINAL SIZING: Due to vast variation in wall thickness plastic pipes use a standard called "Nominal Trade Size" Thus, while a piece of 1/2 inch Schedule 80 pipe has an inside diameter slightly less than 1/2 inch, it is said to take the place of a 1/2inch pipe, thus it is defined as 1/2inch nominal.

FITTINGS:
      1.Fittings designed to be used on supply or pressure piping have sharp bends and are designated by the Degree of Bend. 22.5, 45, 60 90 degree etc.

2.Fittings designed to be used on drain, waste and vent systems will always have a radious or curved bend in the direction of flow and are designated by the fraction of a circle the bend makes. 1/16 bend, 1/8 bend, 1/4 bend, etc.

NOTE_DWV and Pressure fittings may not be intermixed on the same run of pipe.

With some rare exception, plastic pipe is color coded, white-PVC, Creme colored CPVC, Black-ABS, Gray-PVC electrical conduit( may not be used on plumbing system). (When hanging plastic pipe it must be hung in a manner so that the writing on the wall of the pipe is clearly visible. When laying in a trench the writing must be on the top side of the pipe.)

Dissimilar plastic pipes MAY NOT be glued together.

Iron Pipe and fittings have either internal or external threads. External threads are said to be "Male threads" and are listed as MIP (Male iron pipe).
      Internal threads are said to be "Female threads" and are listed as FIP (Female Iron Pipe)

Plastic pipe glue joints are classified as "Slip" fittings.

Copper pipe solder fittings are classified as "Sweat fittings"

Fittings that fit inside plastic tubing and held in place by ridges on the fitting and a clamp around the tubing are called "Barb fittings"

When ordering a fitting you must specify the material, size, and type of joint, thus if you were looking for a 1/2 copper male thread adapter you would ask for a 1/2"MIP x sweat adapter.

If all three openings on a tee are the same size, it is simply referred to by size. Example a 2 inch drain tee would be a 2" Sanitary Tee.
      However, there are some tee's that have reduced fittings on one end or on the side. In the case of a reducing tee it is specified by the INLET, OUTLET and SIDE openening size. A 3 inch DWV Tee with a 2 inch side tap would be a 3 x 3 x 2 Sanitary TEE.

check out my post,,,"Joining dissimilar pipe illustrated" above.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to give me this information. I really appreciate it. I will check out the book you mentioned Monday.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =