Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke off part of old shower arm

Help! When trying to replace my shower head, I broke off the shower arm. When I tried to replace that, the new one won't screw into the fitting. I'm almost sure it is 1/2 ", but it seems too small, so some of threads from the old arm must be in there. I tried 1/2 inch nipple extactor, but it was too small -- 3/4 is too big. Any ideas? Or is it time to swallow my pride and call the plumber. My home was built in 1965... Thanks!

Hopefully your shower arm was initially installed by code. If so the 90 degree copper x FIP transition elbow on the top of the shower riser has mounting ears and it is properly screwed to wooden blocking in the wall.

Find a common (Flat) Screwdriver that has a blade that tapers and is slightly wider at its widest part than the inside diameter of the broken piece of pipe.

Insert the tip of the screwdriver into the piece of broken pipe, then lightly tap it in to cause it to slightly cut into the brass pipe wall.

You should now be able to turn it in a counter clockwise direction and back the broken part out. You may have to repeat tapping it in place and turning it a few times till you get the broken piece out.

Be sure to apply 5 or 6 layers of Teflon tape on the threads of your new shower arm before threading it into place.

Comment

Thanks so much, I'll try it tonight! Sharon.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =