Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater Woes

Hello everybody, me again! My water heater problem is with the T&P valve. It occasionally releases bursts of water. I changed it out, but it still opens (usually after a hot shower). Now, over the summer the city came out and raised my water pressure after complaining about it being too low (I had considered installing a home pressure increasing pump). Well I'm almost certain the two are connected because I didn't have this problem until about two months after them doing this. Is there some sort of pressure reducing valve that goes to my home? Also, where would it be located and can I adjust it? Thanks!!

Steve

Sounds like your problem is definitely pressure related. After a long hot shower the water heater tank is full of relatively cold water, especially during the fall and winter when the ground temps are lower. As the water heats it expands slightly. Normally the water hammer arrestors have enough volume to absborb the expansion, however, if the water hammer arrestors are critically sized or if they may have lost some of their internal air charge due to absorption into the water they may not be able to handle the complete expansion.

You may try turning off the water main, draining the water system down, then turn the water main on again. That would insure that the water hammer arrestors are properly filled with air.

If that does not resolve the problem the proper solution would be to install an expansion tank on the cold water input line to the water heater.

If the city supply pressure is greater than 80psi and you have a pressure regulating valve you are required to have an expansion tank on the water heater.

To install an expansion tank you simply install a Tee on the cold water line and connect from that Tee to the input on the underside of the expansion tank.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =