Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Gas Smell

I have sewer gas smell in all my water not just in the bathroom. Although the smell is stronger in the bathroom. But it does come through the washing machine and kitchen which is on opposite end of the bathroom. I have well water and live in older singlewide mobile home. Does anyone know how to get the smell out? I have put chemicals down the toliet and put a filter system on the well but the smell is still there. The sewer pipe on top of the house is pretty short I didn't know if extending it would make a difference. Any suggestions besides a fire would be appreciated.

This can possibly be a very critical problem that bears immediate attention. If you happen to have a shallow well there is the remote possibility that sewage or other contaminants are getting into the ground aquafer and ultimately contaminating your well. While the risk of this is very slim, it still is a consideration that demands immediate attention.

Contact you local board of health and either they will have a laboratory to test your water, of they can refer you to a lab in your local area that will conduct the test.

In most areas the Lab will supply you a sterilized sample container to get a sample and return for testing. Generally the tests are not real expensive, typically $35 to $50 and take a couple days to get the result.

It is more probable that your odor problem is resulting from mineral content in the water, Iron, sulfur, magnesium etc but if that is the case, the water test results will define what your problem is and how to correct it.

Just to be on the safe side, you may want to use bottled water for cooking, drinking and dishwashing until you get the test results back.

I do not want to appear as an alarmist here for the Lord knows I am far from that, But it is the primary responsibility of Plumbers to insure there is no potential for cross contamintion between sanitary waste and the potable water supply. Do not take this problem lightly as history has confirmed that a contaminated well can be a fatal situation which can be of epidemic proportion.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =