Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast or steel tub

I am getting ready to remove tub for bathroom remodel. I am not sure if the tub I am replacing is cast or steel. Is there a simple way to determine before removal. (i really don't want to start beating on a steel tub with a sledgehammer!) Thanks in advance.

It is easy to check,,,pull the overflow cover off and examine the edge of the tub...steel tubs are a thin guage metal..cast iron will appear grainy looking and about 1/4 inch thick.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. If the tub is steel, is it worth the time and trouble of cutting the tub up with a sawzall? It is located on the second floor with several turns and hallways. Thanks again!

Comment

Normally once they are removed steel tubs are not real heavy, and if stood on end they should easily fit through doors or stairways.

The can be cut with a sawzall, but that can be a chore and usually it is easier to just carry it out whole. If you do elect to cut the tub, make sure you wear gloves and googles, not just regular safety glasses as the porcelan enamel coating will chip and flake badly, and the fragments are very sharp. You certainly wouldnt want the risk of a chip hitting your face below or beside your glasses and richocheting into your eye. My personal recommendation is to try carrying it out whole first. Steel tubs are typically about 100 to 150lbs so they are not difficult for two people to handle.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =