Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water supply question

I am in the process of rehabbing a house.
    The next project I am going to undertake is replacing a small (20) gallon electric hot water tank with a larger LP gas one. My question is is it safe to use PVC pipe for the water supply lines leadinto and out of the tank. Since it is a "remodeling job" it will simplfy things immensely. What are the drawbacks? Thanks for any help anyone can provide

The simple answer is NO.

PVC pipe is approved for "Service" but not for "Distribution.

The "service Line" is the buried supply line from the municapal water main or well to the structure as far as the "House Main Shutoff" which is normally directly ahead of the water meter or house pressure tank on a well system.

From the discharge side of the "House Main Water shutoff Valve" to any point of demand is classified as distribution piping.

The Uniform Plumbing code(UPC) & International Residential Code(IRC) approve Galvanized Iron Pipe, Brass Pipe, Copper(types K,L,M both rigid and continuous roll), and PEX for distribution piping.

The UPC also allows Polyethelene tubing.

The IRC allows Polybutelene (Be careful here, there are many class action suites in regard to Polybutelene pipe which is known to have an extremely high failure rate)

Because of the close proximity of the water lines to the flue riser you should not connect any plastic pipe directly to the water heater.

You may install a galvanized iron or copper riser for the first 18" above the tank, then transition to CPVC or You may use a copper flex line.

The Uniform Plumbing Code also requires both the hot & cold lines MUST BE insulated within the first 5" from the tank.

Also, be very careful when converting electric to gas. Gas water heaters may not be located in Bedrooms, bathrooms or closet or utility spaces that open into bedrooms or bathrooms. The may also not be installed in any utility closet that is part of the return air intake to the HVAC system.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =