Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• closet flange

After completing the dryall and floor, painting and putting in the shower doors, the toilet NOW all of asudden doesn't fit right.....the tank now hits the wall.the flange thingy that is there right now appears to be iron I guess....is there a way to move that flange forward an inch or so or is there a special flange that creates an offset to make my life easier?

It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

I guess my first question is, why does the toilet not fit?

If this is the same toilet going back in, and if the new sheetrock was installed on the existing studding there should be no fit problms. On the other hand if the new sheetrock was installed over the old sheetrock it would build the wall out by the thickness of the sheetrock and perhaps the thickness of any firing strips that may have been installed behind the sheetrock.

You stated that you have cast iron soil pipes, and depending upon whether you can access it from underneath or not, changing the closet flange can be a major headache.

They do make a 1.5" offset flange, but it would require removing the existing flange which again can be a tough job. Offset flanges are prohibited in new construction and in many jurisdictions they may not be used at all. Offset flanges can also be a maintenance nightmare as they tend to clog more often than conventional flanges.

Most toilets are set up for a 12" setback from the center of the flange to the wall however they also make toilets with a 10" setback. In this case the easiest way to resolve the problem would be to consider getting a 10" setback toilet.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =