Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing shower

How difficult is it to replace an existing shower with a bigger one. Any thing we should know before beginning?

A lot would depend upon what type of shower you have now and what you plan on putting in.

The Hot and Cold water supply will remain basically the same but it may require some major revisions of the drain system. A standard tub/shower is only required to have an 1-1/2" drain line, while a shower stall is required to have a 2" drain line.

If you are anticipating putting in a onepiece fiberglass or acrylic unit the first consideration it whether the new unit will fit through doors and hallways to get it to the bathroom.

They make some very nice two-piece acrylic or fiberglass units that have the tub in one piece and the enclosure in another. Once they are in place it is difficult to tell that they are separate units but the advantage here is that both pieces will fit through a standard 30" doorway.

You would need to check the installation specs for your new shower very carefully. Many of the fiberglass & acrylic units require bedding them in place with wet concrete.

Installing an on site built ceramic tile or marble shower enclosure can be a real challenge but the end results is well worth the effort.

You would need to plan well ahead because their are some differences in how the walls must be constructed, depending upon what type of shower you are installing.

Basically all the walls in a bathroom are to be constructed with water resistant gypboard (Greenboard) but the plumbing codes prohibit greenboard in a shower enclosure.

In a shower enclosure you are required to install "concrete backerboard" until the wall is 72" above the elevation of the finished drain. You must first install a building paper or plastic water resistant membrane behind the backerboard, but you may not install a moisture barrier behind the greenboard.

Greenboard may not be used on the ceiling if the framing is greater than 12" center to center.

If you could give more details about what you have now and what you are anticipating, perhaps I could offer a more detailed description with some illustrations that may help you.

Comment

We want to replace the shower in a small bathroom. There is 52-54" space available. Are there any showers or bathtubs that will fit this space. If not, what can I do with the space remaining. Wall is 54" long.

Comment

If you are under the International Residential Code the minimum permitted size of a shower stall is 32" x 32" (Under the Uniform Plumbing code minimum size is 34" x 34").

Although tubs are commonly made in 60" lengths there are smaller tubs available from all the manufacturers by special order. Typically they offer 56" and 48" lengths.

You could also consider having a site built shower pan with a ceramic tile finish.

Comment

Thanks. If we don't put in a tub, what could be done with the existing space--about 18-20 inches? Maybe built-in shelves?

Comment

In my bathtub/shower, I just replaced all of the hardware, as the floor stop wasn't working (it was sticking and wouldn't drain the water), there was a bad drip in the faucet, and my wife everything new so it would look better. I purchased a Delta $78 kit that had everything, and a new drain cover for a few extra bucks. I had a neighbor that I knew worked for a plumbing company come by and do the work on the side, not realizing he was still in school learning to be a plumber. He ended up charging me $250, for his labor (I bought all the parts). Was this reasonable? How long should this work have taken an experienced plumber, as I would think only an hour or two at most, but it took him 5 hours?

Comment

Working...
            X
            =