Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbage Disposal

I have a Badger 5 garbage disposal that was working before I took it apart to replace both gaskets. Now it's like it isn't getting any electricity. Could I have damaged the wiring while doing the work? I have tried resetting it, to no avail.

I am presuming you mean you changed the top mounting gasket and the drain port gasket but did not need to take the motor housing apart.

In most installations a disposal is connected by means of a cord and plug under the sink. If yours in connected in that manner first check to insure the plug is in tight.

IF that doesnt solve your problem, check to see if your getting power to the outlet. If you don't have a meter try plugging a lamp into the outlet and turn the disposal switch on, if the lamp works your getting power.

Disposals can be connected by means of a cord and plug but in some localities they are required to be hard wired, therefore the units do not come with a cord attached. The installer must attach a cord during the installation. The bottom of the disposal has a 1/2" knockout to attach the wiring. When installing a cord you should first install a romax connector to clamp the cord in place, but often that is overlooked, which leaves the cord loose. If your cord is loose it is quite possible that the cord may have gotten pulled during your maintenance and one of the wirenuts inside is loose.

Make sure the cord is unplugged, then open the electrical cover plate and examing the wirenut connections. It is a simple black to black & white to white connection. Also make sure the bare copper ground wire is firmly connected to the green screw inside the disposal electrical cover.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =