Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I Hit The Water Supply

If I hit the water supply to my house, which is probably 3/4" gaalvanized, with some 2.5ft rebar stakes i am pounding in, how hard would it be to repair myself?

First-shut the water off at the meter by the street........
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 01-22-2006, 12:32 PM. Reason: stimulate a response
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

If you are sure that you have iron pipe water lines you could get a good estimate of the pipe position by locating exaclty where the pipe enters the structure, then pull a string from there to the curb box or meter location. Iron pipes seldom change direction under ground. If you happen to have a basement you should be able to locate where the pipe passes through the basement wall. You could also estimate the exact depth of the water line which would help you in avoiding it.

If the pipe is in fact 3/4" galvanized you should be okay. Iron pipe is a really tough material and unless you were unfortunate enough to hit the pipe exactly straight on the top of the pipe the odds are the rebar would be deflected enough to go down beside the pipe without a problem.

I would just exercise a bit of care when driving the rebar. If it hits an obstruction it could be a rock or it could be your water line, in either case i would pull the rebar and try again with a little bit of an angle to miss that spot rather than use brute force and risk going through the water line.

Aside from being labor intensive, repairing an underground waterline is generally not a difficult job. First you would need to excavate the pipe to access the extent of damage. In some cases you can use an external pipe repair clamp bolted over the point of damage. The next alternative would be to cut a section of the pipe out and thread the ends. Attach a coupling, then install a Barb fitting and connect the two ends with a short section of Polyethelene roll pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup
      If you are sure that you have iron pipe water lines you could get a good estimate of the pipe position by locating exaclty where the pipe enters the structure, then pull a string from there to the curb box or meter location. Iron pipes seldom change direction under ground. If you happen to have a basement you should be able to locate where the pipe passes through the basement wall. You could also estimate the exact depth of the water line which would help you in avoiding it.

If the pipe is in fact 3/4" galvanized you should be okay. Iron pipe is a really tough material and unless you were unfortunate enough to hit the pipe exactly straight on the top of the pipe the odds are the rebar would be deflected enough to go down beside the pipe without a problem.

I would just exercise a bit of care when driving the rebar. If it hits an obstruction it could be a rock or it could be your water line, in either case i would pull the rebar and try again with a little bit of an angle to miss that spot rather than use brute force and risk going through the water line.

Aside from being labor intensive, repairing an underground waterline is generally not a difficult job. First you would need to excavate the pipe to access the extent of damage. In some cases you can use an external pipe repair clamp bolted over the point of damage. The next alternative would be to cut a section of the pipe out and thread the ends. Attach a coupling, then install a Barb fitting and connect the two ends with a short section of Polyethelene roll pipe.
      Thanks Man, I was waiting to hear from you! So if I hit the pipe, by the time I turn the water off the area should be well excavated LOL! OKAY....Thanks Man

Vincent
      It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =