Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Shower

If I need to replace the shower surround can I put sheet rock behind the plastic surround or do I have to use green board?

Thanks, Rita

Both the International Residential Code and the Uniform PLumbing Code are very explicit and in complete agreement on this topic.

Concrete backerboard must be used in the shower enclosure until the walls are 72" above the elevation of the finished drain. Greenboard may not be used in the shower enclosure.

All other walls in a bathroom are to be water resistant gypboard (greenboard).

Greenboard may only be used on the ceiling if the framing is eqaul to or less than 12" center to center. If the framing is greater than 12" center to center you must use sheet rock.

Some local jurisdictions will permit greenboard in the shower enclosure if the enclosure is being finished with a one piece fiberglass or acrylic surround.

Although not yet adopted by the national codes some local codes have adopted the use of the "Kerdi" waterproof membrane system over greenboard for the application of ceramic tile in the shower enclosure.

When installing concrete backerboard you must first install a water resistant moisture barrier. A water resistant barrier IS NOT to be applied behind greenboard.

Concrete backerboard must be installed with corrosion resistant fasteners and joints and cut edges must be sealed with a water resistant sealant.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =