Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my hook up right ?

My house is sold but the inspector claims that my dishwasher drain line is suppose to drain into the trap and not the garbage disposal unit. he says, "it should go into an inverted trap to reduce risk of draining sink into dishwasher". If its not a violation and works do I need to redo the hookup ?

Originally posted by johnnypops
    My house is sold but the inspector claims that my dishwasher drain line is suppose to drain into the trap and not the garbage disposal unit. he says, "it should go into an inverted trap to reduce risk of draining sink into dishwasher". If its not a violation and works do I need to redo the hookup ?
    If so then what about the drain hole in the garbage disposal ?

Comment

Was that a Plumbing Inspector or a house inspector??

If its a Plumbing Inspector it is a local code issue and you would need to get their specs.

If its a house inspector he/she needs to brush up on Plumbing Codes:

The Uniform Plumbing Code requires it to connect to the disposal. The code prohibits connecting a dishwasher downstream of a disposal. Ref: UPC 405.4

Under the UPC you may only have one trap on a waste arm..Ref: 1001.1

Under the International Residential code the dishwasher may connect to a trap, trapped fixture, branch Wye tailpiece on kitchen sink or a garbage disposal. REF: IRC-2717.2.3
      Last edited by LazyPup; 08-31-2006, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Sounds like your inspector is still learning. Did he write up a violation for that? The "inverted trap" he is referring to may be a vacuum breaker which prevents back siphonage to the DW from the sink. If it works and it doesn't interfere with your sale and the Inspector didn't cite a specific code rule, I would leave it.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =