Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterheater drain valve leaking

Drain valve is leaking. I have purchased a replacement and I am ready to replace. It appears as thought the leak was at the threads rather than through the valve.

I am afraid I will get the old out and the threads will be so rusted they will fall apart or the new valve wont go in.

It looks as though the outside of where the valve is attached has a little rust from the water running out..

Am I screwed and looking at a new heater? The model is older but still works great.

Anyone ever ran into this and can offer some advice?

if you have access to a 7/8" npt pipe tap - that would be better - then you can tap out the threads to clean out the rust. If your new cleanout is plastic use teflon tape, if it's bronze use a liquid pipe dope. Once the valve tightens in the fitting, give it another quarter turn. orientate the valve anywhere but up.

Comment

Whats the chances this thing will be all chewed up or rusted beyond use?

I dont want to jump into this and not have water until I can get a new heater installed....

Comment

50/50 chance I'd say. but there's one consolation, the zinc anode that's in the tank should have done its job sealing up the smaller leaks from corrosion.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =