Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snaking a clogged kitchen pipe

This just happened to us today.

While running the dishwasher, I noticed water backing up into both sides of the kitchen sink. I stopped the dishwasher to try and see what was going on.

I've tried two applications of Drano Kitchen Crystals, but they don't seem to have made a difference. I have some Liquid Plumr Gel, and am wishing I'd tried it first.

I'm willing to "chase" the crystals with Liquid Plumr, except that it sounds like a recipie for trouble.

At this point, is it safe to try snaking the drain if I can get the end of the snake down in the pipe? I'm just trying to avoid a weekend call to a plumber. I know enough about plumbing to be dangerous, and am afraid I wouldn't be able to get back together anything I take apart.

The weird thing about this is that the drains worked just fine yesterday. I ran the dishwasher without incident, and the sink drained fine. I've been told that a dishwasher is one of the best things you can do for your kitchen plumbing, as the hot water and strong soap go blasting through your pipes. But it might not have been enough for this.

Thank you,
    -Bill
    William Killeffer
    East Ridge, TN

I ended up snaking the drain. Not sure what was down there as the snake just pushed the clog on through. I ran lots of hot water through after that, then some cold to get ready for one more application of Drano Crystals, then I'll run the dishwasher on Heavy Wash mode.
    William Killeffer
    East Ridge, TN

Comment

just be careful with the drano crystals - there's an alkally (spelling) that reacts with the aluminum shards in the drain cleaner to create heat to dissolve any grease in the pipes.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =