Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water pressure drop

I just replaced a 40 gal. hot water heater and have a problem with a loss of hot water pressure. The incoming feed is 3/4 galv. pipe, but the outgoing pipe is only 1/2 galv.. I'm thinking this could be the problem along with sediment clogging somewhere. However in this 60 year old ranch house the pipes are running down into the concrete slab. Anyone have an idea on help? Thanks, Bob
    Last edited by rh7930; 02-19-2007, 07:10 PM.

Your Galvanized Iron Pipe is no doubt original to the structure and at 60 years it has by now probably lived out its reliable service life, especially if you live in a region where you have a high amount of minerals in your water.

Obviously it would be cost prohibitive to cut into the slab to run new lines so the option then is to go overhead in the attic space which is done quite commonly.

The major concern with running the lines through the attic space is the potential for those lines to freeze in winter months. To prevent freezing there should be no insulation on the underside of the pipe but it should be well insulated above the pipe. This will allow a small amount of heat from the living space below to surround the pipes while the insulation above the pipe will keep that heat enclosed around the pipes preventing freezing.

Comment

Thanks, never dawned on me to go through the attic. Great advice. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X
      =