Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dish Washer Vent?

My house currently has a dishwasher installed and the drain line from it passes thru a vent pipe mounted in the sink enroute to the inlet on the garbage disposal.. We are planning on installing new Corian Countertops and the plans only show where the faucet fixture will be mounted on the countertop. What happens to this vent fixture that is currently installed between the dishwasher and inlet to the garbage disposal? Is it needed?

it is needed to prevent an anti siphoning effect for the drain. just mount it under the countertop high up in the cabinet. another way is to make a "U" upside down under the cabinet that way the drain water has to travel up then down to the drain on the disposal.

Comment

It is called an air gap, and its purpose is described by hayzee. It is required by code in many areas.

I can tell you that my daughter just finished having a room addition and kitchen remodel done. They went to granite countertops, and didn't want the air gap, so( against my advice!) told the granite people not to drill a hole for it. The city inspector turned it down flat. Son-in-law appealed (gently) with diagrams and spec sheet showing check valve on the new DW. No dice. Had to call the granit guys back to drill a hole.

I had showed sonny the California Plumbing Code, where the requirement is clear, but sometimes he just has to learn the hard way.

Anyway, our code is base on the UPC. I think the IPC may have some leeway on this. Check wity your inspector. If you have to have it, might as well deal with it up front.

ADDENDUM> I don't think hayzee was suggesting to put the airgap itself under the counter. That would be a receipe for disaster. They can and very often do overflow. You don't want that under the counter. A high loop in the drain hose is the way to go, and is how it was always done before air gaps. Check with your inspector to see if that is acceptable
      Last edited by 596; 07-28-2007, 08:46 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
      X
      =