Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark Bite fittings....

In a past post from earlier this year I sorta hijacked a post and asked about the viability of the new Shark Bite fittings. Lazy Pup said there was no news to date. Although only a few months later, I'm wondering about this again. Having threaded the Pex through the floor joists for the upstairs bathj, it's about time to connect them up to the manifolds. Should I go with the crimp or go with the Shark Bites? I sure like the ease of installation with those Shark fittings!

It is my understanding that shark bite has received some limited code approval under the national codes however it still remains up to your local AHJ whether they will approve them for use in your jurisdiction.

Note I stated they have received "Limited approval". It is my understanding that they are approved for above grade non-concealed application but are not to be used on lines intended for direct burial or inside wall cavities.

The bottom line, In my humble opinion it is simply too easy to make a crimp joint to try to save time or money with an unproven technology.

Originally my biggest complaint with the PEX system was the high cost of the tools, but PEX has now received enough general acceptance that most local tool rental companies and some hardware and home supply stores have the tools available for rental at very reasonable rates. I have even seen a couple plumbing supply houses that will loan the tools free for up to ten days if you buy all your PEX material from them.
    Last edited by LazyPup; 09-26-2007, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =