Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too picky with install?

Hey this is my first post.

I just recently had a plumber install a new Price-Phister kitchen faucet.
    Its the kind that pivots (they all do don't they ). Well it doesn't pivot equally for both sides. If the faucet is smack in the middle of the sink, turning it to the right it stops at about 2-3 oclock and to the left it stops around 7 oclock.
    I called support and she said the grooves in a ring was not lined up with the grooves in the base. I paid 170.00 bucks for this thing. The install was free cause lowes messed up on something.
    Should the plumber be called back to right this? Or am I being to nitpicky?
    Last edited by stinkyfinger; 09-27-2007, 05:20 PM.

In all probability it was not an oversight on the part of your plumber because those parts usually come pre-assembled from the factory however, you should definitely call them back because there are other parts inside your faucet that rely upon the ring in question being properly aligned.

It is a very simple fix that probably won't take more than a minute or two.

Comment

Thanks for your reply lazypup!

I don't think anymore that I'm being picky, I just expect people to do their job,nothing more nothing less. The faucet body should have been aligned with grooves inside the single post at installation time, not done at the factory. Thats what the service manual says anyway. I laid the manual down beside the faucet I just wish he read it.
      Now he has to come out here bout 30-35 miles to tinker with it for maybe 5 -10 minutes worth of work.. He should be kicking himself in the rear! I feel sorry for the guy!
      When I first bought this house it had a home warrenty with it and the toliet out in the garage had to be replaced. The warrenty company sent somebody from about 50 miles away out here. Well it started to leak I think around the ring. They were called back out to tighten the bolt or bolts that go into the floor.
      Was I being nitpicky then? No, the way I look at it, if I were to tighten them and I cracked it. I would be in deep doo doo! (no pun intended), because it would be me who would have to pay for a new toliet. I will not put myself in that situation. So I will explain this to the plumber also when he comes out.
      Also for the last several days I have been filling and empting the sink and checking for any leaks, seepage no matter how slight, and I have not found any! That part of the job was well done IMH, so I'm goona give this guys 2 maybe 3 wks to get back out here, since he said he doesn't get called this far out very often. I think thats more than fair and hopefully that will show him I'm not some hard azz whineybaby! LOL
      Thanks again lazypup for givin me your 2 cents worth!!

Comment

In your post you stated that the plumber should be kicking himself in the rear for this silly mistake. I could not agree more, but in all fairness, ask any tradesman, in fact, ask anyone who works for a living and they will have to admit that they do make a silly mistake on occasion because that is just human nature. On the other hand, it is the silly mistake that requires a considerable effort to correct that we remember the most.

There is no doubt in my mind that your plumber will be mumbling under his breathe for the whole trip out to your house and back, but in the end he can charge that one off to tuition, because it teaches a hard lesson to be more attentive to detail.

I would venture to guess that he will never make that silly mistake again, in fact, i would guess that in years to come he will relate the story to his apprentices about the time he had to drive 30 miles to reposition that fitting. Sad as it is to say, these are the lessons that we cannot teach in an apprenticeship class.

Now taking this discussion to the next level. Depending upon how timely the plumber makes the correction he may be doing himself a real favor in regards to customer relations. No doubt in years to come someone will ask you for a recommendation for a plumber. If you get a runaround on this little problem, it won't matter how well he performed the rest of the job, you will no doubt relate how he put you off on this. By contrast, if he handles this problem in a timely manner you will be telling people how anyone can make a little mistake, but this guy is johnny on the spot to make it right.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =