Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Tank leaking in the middle of the night HELP

I went to take a shower. No hot water.
    I look at the hot water heater. Water all over the floor.
    I call the utilities company. They come out and shut off the gas, and supposedly the water to the heater.
    This was 11pm.

He said, to turn on the hot water in the bathtub to drain the water heater. I did this. I even washed a load of clothes with the HOT setting.

At 430am..it is still dripping water.

Shouldnt it have been drained by now ?

Im waiting til 8am to call a plumber, but my water heater is in a closet off my DR...and running all over. ( no basements here)

Utility guy said its leaking from inside the heater. Wouldnt it just be more cost friendly to get the new one, than a service call ? Its 20 yrs old, the utility guy said.
    Will a plumber just have them on hand ?
    Last edited by IvaBeenTryin; 05-24-2008, 04:45 AM.

some plumbers stock them most just go buy another one and install it. 20 years is a long time for a heater.

Comment

Still dripping 530 am

The Utilities company turned off the water to the hot water heater. So he said.
      I can still hear a trinkling sound in the tank..6 hrs later and dripping on the floor ( despite leaving the faucet in the bathtub on
      Its pretty loud actually. Should I call the utility company back again ?

I know nothing about this. This is my first home.
      Sorry to be such a dufuss LOL
      Last edited by IvaBeenTryin; 05-24-2008, 05:22 AM. Reason: forgot detail

Comment

Running water at the bathtub will not drain the water heater.

When you are facing the water heater look at the lower right side an you will see a faucet near the bottom of the tank. That is the tank drain valve.

Connect a garden hose to that faucet and run it to a nearby floor drain or outside the house, then open the faucet.

You should then open a hot water faucet at a nearby sink to allow air to vent into the tank as it drains. This will speed up the draining process.

Comment

Time for a new water heater. They don't usually last 20 years, and repairing them is not an option if the tank is leaking.

I also suspect that the valve in the water line near or above the water heater that is used to shut off the supply to the water heater is worn, corroded, or not fully shut. That's why you turned on the faucet and the water never really stopped dripping out...The tank was still being supplied with cold water. I'd be sure that the plumber checks that valve out for you and repairs or replaces it if that's the case.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =