Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer Drain Overflow

I am having a problem with my washing machine overflowing during the first few moments of the drain cycle.

Apart from not having a trap (seperate problem) either the vent is inadequite or the pipe diameter is not enough. Due to the cost and difficulty of repairs in this area, I am trying to avoid guesswork. Any comments would be appreciated.

here is what I have:
    - There is an in-wall plastic drain box that connects to 2" pipe.
    - after about 3" the 2" pipe reduces to 1.5" pipe and travels down approx 30" to a 1.5" Y
    - Upstream from the Y (12 inches) the pipe is capped off
    - Downstream from the Y (30 inches) is another Y creating a 1.5" vertical vent pipe.
    - another foot downstream the pipe enlarges to 2" with an elbow and disapears through the concrete.
    - The main 3" stack is approx 7' from there

I am considering...
    - Replace the 1.5" verticle pipe from the drain box to the first Y with 2". But from here the horizontal travel would still remain 1.5"
    - or, move the vent to branch directly off the verticle 1.5" pipe

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
    Cam

Laundry Drain Overflow

Here is a crude sketch of what I am talking about

Thanks,
    Cam

Comment

The 2" pipe should not be reduced in size all the way to the washer machine box. The 1.5" vent line is fine but there should be a p-trap installed before the line reaches the vent connection to keep sewer gas out of your house

Comment

I am attaching two illustrations.

The first one is your drawing with the code violations annotated

The second is an easy solution for you.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =