Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Code Question - Max distance from drain to trap.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code Question - Max distance from drain to trap.

I am finishing my basement, which will include a bathroom shower. When the house was built (2004), the builder did a basement bath rough-in. They placed the 2" drain for the shower at the wall (as would be used for a bathtub). I am installing a shower. The shower floor drain will be approximately 4 feet from the rough in pipe. The rough in pipe includes a trap under the slab. By the way, I'm elevating the shower to avoid cutting the concrete floor. I will have the proper 1/4" per foot drop.

1) Can I run 4 feet from the drain in the shower to the trap in the floor?

2) Would I place a vent in the 4 foot section (i.e. the vent would be before the trap), or would the vent already be installed in the plumbing below the slab? By the way, the 3" stack is 6 feet from the rough in drain and 30 inches from the toilet rough in (toilet is between the stack and the rough in shower drain).

3) Is it legal to place a vent before the trap?

By the way, I'm in Georgia and the required code is the International Plumbing Code - 2006 Edition

Thank you in advance for the help.

The maximum allowable horizontal offset from a drain opening to a trap is 30".

There would be no need to install a vent in the offset line because the line is already open to atmosphere at the drain opening.

There is no requirement to have the drain opening in the middle of your shower. The easy solution would be to build your shower pan with a continuous 1/4" per foot pitch from the front to the back and keep the drain opening in its present location.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply and the great information. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =