Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplex - upstairs toilet, double flush, overflow

I have a duplex building with two apartments. Recently, the upstairs toilet has started to double flush and backup occassionally (2x a month maybe). I did read the thread on double flushing and am going to replace the flapper with 1.6 gallon specific flapper, i'm not sure what is on there. My big concern however is the occassional backup, it recently caused drywall damage downstairs. The tennant has told me it overflows "clear" water and sometimes with little to no paper in the flush at all. The downstairs tennant has not reported any backups/overflows. I can hold the flapper open and the toilet drains properly and does not overflow. I have thought about trying to use a toilet snake to see if anything is jammed in the pipe. The other idea I had was hiring Roto Rooter.

Any help is greatly appreciated, i'm also curious if the two problems are related or completely separate.

Thanks.

A 1.6 gallon per flush toilet will not normally overflow when it clogs unless the wrong flapper is installed. The clogs are an entirely different matter. The toilet may have something in it that could be removed with a good quality closet auger with a drop head like those made by General and Ridgid or, it might just be a junk toilet that doesn't flush well. As for Roto Rooter I consider them to be "Premium" priced plumbers...
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

try reducing the water pressure into the tank, it may be creating too much turbulence for the flapper to seat

Comment

Originally posted by towndog View Post
        try reducing the water pressure into the tank, it may be creating too much turbulence for the flapper to seat
        try checking the original post date of 2010
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =