Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very stuck pipes

I'm replacing my tub/shower faucet and valves. Trying to anyway. In order to get the valve off (single handle, cross piece), I need to remove the couplers from the water supply lines. These are very difficult to turn (using a medium sized pipe wrench), in fact the couplers don't turn at all, I end up twisting the connecting pipes. I've added Liquid Wrench with no success. Any other products or tools? I guess the next step would be cutting them off – I'd probably let a pro do that. Just wondering if I've exhausted my options.

Rob,

Welcome to the forum.

If you remove any rubber or nylon parts from the valves you could then use a torch to heat the coupling. If you heat the female side it should expand quicker and get larger.... allowing you to loosen it.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

If you think there's still some rubber/plastic part in there, or if it's not a good place to get a torch into, use Parts Blaster. Usually available at an auto parts store like Murray's. This stuff is super! Squirt only a bit on the fitting and then slightly tighten the fitting, then put a light pressure to loosen. Let it set for 15/20 minutes, and then the tighten/loosen again. Keep trying the tighten/loosen act several times until it starts working loose. Now, if that doesn't work, then it IS smoke wrench time![8D]

Comment

I went to the auto parts store, but they were out of PB. Since the hardware store is right next door, I went in and got the torch. I admit, I was a little intimidated by it at first, but it turned out to be simple to use and worked great. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =